Tuesday, May 5, 2009

1st Letter from Elder Robarts!

- snail mail - if I waited until work tomorrow I might be able to put up a photocopy of the letter, but we have all waited long enough already. Dinner can wait. ; ) - B

April 20, 2009

Dear Home,

Mom and I have traveled far today. We're in Utah now, staying at the home of Tim and Erin Adair. (They're so nice. ^^) Tomorrow, we plan to drive around Salt Lake City, or rather, take the local transit. That should be a lot of fun. But in the meantime, it's just passed midnight MST, so I should be going to bed.

4/22
Yesterday was awesome. We bought some stuff at Mr. Mac's, toured the Beehive House where a worker asked me to tell the red-headed wife of the Mission President that I met Sister (starts with an S) who liked the red-head's Acura so much that she followed it all the way to the post office. Then we spent the whole day at Temple Square. If you're ever in Salt Lake City, tour the Convention Center. It's amazingly wonderful. Of course, the other places were fantastic, too. Especially the Temple itself.

For dinner, we went to the Larson's house, where I had some great conversations especially with Kent and AJ. AJ perfectly described the way I feel right now: Detached, as if everything was happening all around me, but I haven't quite caught up with it. Kent said that the reality of it all will him me on my first or second night at the MTC. Only time will tell.

4/22
Oh, so much to say! The separation was extremely emotional for me. I went through at least three or four tissues before Mom and I split up. But after that, I was kept too busy or too bewildered to worry about anything.

My companion is a big guy from Hawaii. From only knowing him a day, my first impression of him s that he's rather fast. He finished dinner well before I did (we skipped dessert because he didn't seem interested in the ICE CREAM, and I didn't want to hold him back, and he was in and out of the shower well before I was, too (I didn't even TRY to wash my acne or brush my teeth). Hopefully, I'll get my rhythm down soon, so I'll maybe be nearly as fast as Elder Kelly is, but right now I've got bigger problems to worry about.

I, and every other new missionary, must read 5 pages of the Book of Mormon per night, read the missionary handbook and write a 5 minute talk on the Plan of Salvation by Sunday, and write a letter to our new Branch President detailing which Christ-like attribute I'm trying to develop and what I'm doing to work on it, what I'm learning in Preach My Gospel and the scriptures, what I'm doing to strengthen my companionship, what I'm planning to do to strengthen my companionship, and what I'm doing to try and invite the Spirit, Every Thursday night. Starting tomorrow.

4/23
I'm actually managing to get it all done.

4/30
FINALLY! One week in the MTC, a week and a half since I left home, and now I finally get to write back. But, having spent half the day at the Provo Temple, and the other half in the MTC laundry room, I now have only 20 minutes to write something, put it in an envelope, stamp it, address it, and get to the cafeteria. My apologies to everyone who hoped for an email today.
There is no time.
I'll be brief. (since I have no choice)

I have a pillow and can get another if I want.
The food is good.
My companion: Elder Kelly. Hawaiian. Strong-silent type.
My whole district (21D), 8 Elders (two rooms worth), all going to CAN WIN @ the same time. Cool, eh?
Spirit is strong here. We hear awesome talks all the time.
I'm learning and growing a lot!
The weather has been perfect (save 2 days (light rain)
The mountains are beautiful. took pictures.
SEND ME PICTURES Please. O = )
Kelsey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Ben, please write to me again. ^^ You too Kelsey.
Mom, you got a what??
Joe, it's cool that you're still thinking of me.
Everyone, I LOVE YOU! Wish I could write more.
Keep your fingers crossed for an email next week. I (heart) MTC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Elder Robarts! Much love from Aunt Lainee