Monday, September 28, 2009

Dear Home - September 28, 2009

Dear Home,

Last week, we went to the most beautiful place in Prince Albert. Brother Moore took us there. It was so woody and mossy and it had little bridges over little streams... It was so calm and peaceful. Brother Moore called it "PA's Sacred Grove". An accurate description, I'd say. The spirit was definitely strong there. ^^

But on a much more exciting note, General Conference is this weekend!! =D We're all really looking forward to it, especially since I've told the other Elders that I plan to uphold our family tradition. ;D A big get-together with a lot of ice cream! SO good! I can't wait. ^^

You once asked me what the most remarkable rejection I ever got was. I didn't have an answer for you because it hadn't happened yet, but now it has. We knock on the door. No answer. We see someone's head of brown hair poking up from behind the hood of the car in the driveway. We're thinking: Lol, kids. They're gonna try and scare us.
But it wasn't a kid.

The woman who lived at that house hid behind her car to avoid talking to us. I think that's a bit extreme. She could've just said 'Not Interested', like everyone else. =P

Well, sadly, that's all I've got time for. But before I go, I've got an assignment for you: Find Neil A. Maxwell's talk in which he encourages us to 'Give up our summer cottages in Babylon'. By the way, is Babylon still standing? Kinda curious. I wonder what kind of people live there and how they feel about it.

Anyway, I gotta go. I love you all, especially those I'm closely related to. -hugs Mom, then hugs everyone- Man, I wish I could do that in person. =/
Your Overall Very Happy Missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Yeah for GENERAL CONFERENCE!!! :-) Hope you enjoy it!

Miriam said...

From what I found, they are paraphrasing Elder Maxwell:

"Even if we decide to leave Babylon, some of us endeavor to keep a second residence there, or we commute on weekends."
(A Wonderful Flood of Light, p.47)
I wasn't able to find the full text online (for free).

"Babylon (ancient city) (Babylonian Bāb-ilim or Babil, “gate of God”), one of the most important cities of the ancient world, whose location today is marked by a broad area of ruins just east of the Euphrates River, 90 km (56 mi) south of Baghdād, Iraq. Babylon was the capital of Babylonia in the 2nd and 1st millennia bc. In antiquity the city profited from its location extending across the main overland trade route connecting the Persian Gulf and the Mediterranean."
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761560431/Babylon_(ancient_city).html