Monday, July 12, 2010

July 12, 2010

Dear Mom,
 
How well do you think the alternating paragraphs idea went? In your honest opinion, do you think I should keep doing it, or should I go back to the normal way?
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Barbara <motherof8robarts@gmail.com> wrote:

I like your philosophical/spiritual tangents!  Good thoughts! Things to ponder. Keep sharing!
 
(( Spiritual tangents are kind of fun sometimes. And it's refreshing. It's like bearing your testimony. I know lots of people are... apprehensive about bearing their testimony in public, but it REALLY helps! Whenever I bear my testimony, even in a tangent like this, I feel the Spirit and it heals me. It refills the well from which I draw the energy to keep going. And it strengthens me. Like a muscle, my testimony gets stronger as I use it. And I need that. I've never had an amazing, dramatic, faith-building experience, and I probably never will, but I have had many, MANY experiences where I'm having a rough time, and then God shows me something that brightens up my day. A good example would be the Cream of Mushroom miracle that I had a month or two ago. I was having a very rough day. It was raining that day, but by the time we had to go outside, it wasn't raining as hard. Then, when I splattered the soup, it's like God knew exactly what to do to cheer me up: give me something to laugh about and learn from. So, you know what? I might have had what you could call a dramatic, faith-building experience, but that was it. I didn't see a light, or hear God's voice, and my experience definitely wasn't an answer to prayer. It was just a little help. A push in a better direction. Maybe sometimes, that's all we need.
 
I think some people frequently wish that a mountain-sized testimony would fall into their lap one day, and all God gives them is a rock or two each day. They feel dissappointment when they only get a small rock in answer to their prayers. They may feel like God let them down. Then they might get angry at God for not giving them what they asked for, or they may start to get worried that there might not be a God at all, but watch what happens. Watch what happens as they keep praying for a mountain and all they get is a big pile of rocks. If they're patient enough, and observant enough, they may eventually come to see (as I have seen) that their big pile of rocks starts to look like a mountain of rocks. I may have a mountainous testimony already, or it may be a foothill, or a mole-hill, or perhaps it's just an anthill when compared to what it needs to be, but each of those 'little miracles' my God sent me one by one is as solid as a rock. ))

You know I keep easy crossword puzzles in the "reading room"? Well, I just finished one book and reached for the next one, but to my surprise it was not crosswords but sudoku. To my greater surprise I both could do it and enjoyed it - the easy ones, anyway. I found a free sudoku app for my iPod, too. : )
 
(( I like Sudoku. I haven't had time to do it on my mission, but when I get home, I think it'll be a great way to relieve some stress and sharpen my mind. Of course, scripture-study is a better way to relieve stress, enlighten your understanding, and fill your soul with light, but I don't think I want to turn pages of scripture with hands that need to be washed. =S ))

Benjamin presented his project to the Scout Committee. They were impressed and a little concerned that it might be too much. It is big, but he can do it. He might see if another Scout wants to do the benches for his project, but probably not. Sister Schrimp suggested some improvements to his write-up before he goes to the district guy.
 
(( So, my little brother is tackling a project so big that many people wonder whether or not he can do it. Yep, that sounds like something he would do. And moreover, it sounds like something he CAN do. I've learned over the years, especially over the past year, that my brother can do anything. He has the will-power, he has the brains, he has the strength, and he has the persistance to do anything and everything he really wants to do. If he sets his mind on completing this project, he will complete this project. It's that simple. ))

Benjamin was also set apart as the Priest 1st Assistant.
 
(( That doesn't surprise me at all. =) 
 
The only thing I could possibly be worried about with him is the stress. He thrives on stress, as far as I've seen, but too much of it would affect anyone, even him. But luckily, my brother already knows how to handle excess stress: some meditation, a scented candle, and maybe a muffin or two, and he'll be recharged and ready to take on the world. If that doesn't work, pray, and then do the first thing that comes into your mind (unless that idea is obviously wrong). ))


Love you,
Mom

(( I love you, too! ^^
 
 
But this is going to have to be my letter to everyone. I'm out of time. Luckily, I don't have much to report this week. Monday and Tuesday, we said goodbye to everyone. On Wednesday, Elder Jons and I left. Thursday, Elder Sheffield and I came back. Friday, we Weekly Planned (I basically spent the day telling Elder Sheffield what he needs to know about the people we're trying to help). Saturday and Sunday, we said hello to as many people as we possibly could (lots of people weren't home). That's our week in a nutshell. ))
 
Love, your hard-working missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

No comments: