Monday, November 8, 2010

November 8, 2010

Dear Home,
 
We got our transfer calls last Friday.
 
The worst thing about tri-panionships is that they don't last. We had an odd number of missionaries go home this transfer, so the mission office is splitting us up to make everything else all nice and even. The funny thing is that I just read a bookmark that quotes a scripture about preaching the gospel two-by-two, so if that's the way the Lord wants us to do it, that's the way we'll do it. But there's just one more thing that makes this transfer less-than-exciting for me. They're moving me out of the Saskatoon Zone.
 
I'm going to an area called Procter Place in Regina, Saskatchewan ( 9-141 Procter Place, Regina SK, S4S 6A7 ). This will be the first time in over a year and a half that I'll be serving as a missionary somewhere other than in the Saskatoon Zone. But I'm still keeping the pattern of serving in the city of Saskatoon every other area. This (probably, hopefully) means that either Procter Place is going to be my last mission area, or I'll be transferred back to Saskatoon later. Either are possible. Procter Place is more likely.
 
I'm really going to miss Elder Sheffield and Elder Hall. I can honestly say that out of all the companions I've served with, Elder Sheffiled and Elder Hall have been the most fun. The missionary I'm serving with next is Elder Higginson. I think I've met him before and if I've got the name and face lined up right, he seems like a really nice guy. I look forward to serving with him. Fortunately, the Internet hasn't completely shut down yet, so I'll be able to keep in contact with my Pendygrasse companions after I get back home. That'll be good. As for the other missionaries I've served with, I can think of a few that I'd like to Friend on Facebook, if they have Facebook accounts. While the Internet can be a huge waste of time if you're not careful, it is, in many cases, indispensable for keeping people in touch with each other.
 
But you want to know what's really scary? Including this next transfer, I only have three transfers left on my mission. Where did the time go? Why haven't I accomplished as much as I wanted to accomplish? What am I going to do with what little time I have left? I definitely need to invite the spirit more. I've had times on my mission when things were exciting, thrilling, filled with the spirit and spiritual insights, and it felt great. And there have also been times on my mission when I've been too lazy to do the right thing. I don't want to be lazy anymore. I want to be dynamic, energetic, active, diligent and awesome. I'm still working on those. =/ But with the new area and new companion comes an opportunity to start fresh. I can re-invent myself, develop new habits and completely change the future of my mission.
 
Many returned missionaries say that their missions have been the best two years of their life, and now I know why. Missions are challenging. As a missionary, I have continually been challenged to make progress and improvements. That motivation has given me a desire to be as good of a person as I know how to be. I've been studying the scriptures and singing hymns. I've been setting goals and marking my progress. I've been working hard and getting stronger. I've been having a great two years. =) I have no complaints and few regrets. My only real regret is the same regret I've had my whole life: I could have worked harder. But, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I believe in the principle of Eternal Progressing. I'm not perfect now. I'm not even as good as I want to be right now. But that's okay. As long as I keep working, keep trying, keep improving, I eventually will reach ALL of my goals. I can be awesome. It may take me an eternity to get there, but because I'll live on after death, I have an eternity to work with. Can you imagine what a determined person can accomplish in that amount of time? I can do anything. All I have to do is keep the faith and never give up, and I'm doing alright at that. Thank you for praying for me. I know it helps. =)
 
Lots of love from your happy, hope-full missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts
 
PS. One good thing about serving in Regina is that we get to go to the temple. I'm SO looking forward to that! =)

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

Elder Robarts,
The time has gone quickly because you have been fully engaged in your mission, working hard and relishing the experience.

You have not accomplished all that you wanted because you high goals and high standards which is good - one reaches highest when one aims for the stars. And you are, after all, only human.

I hope that you will continue to apply the lessons and skills learned on our mission to the rest of your life. I believe that if you do so, while your mission will always be a special part of your life, it will be the best two years of your life SO FAR. (As the mother of your childhood, I try not to feel badly about that.) Continued growth and continued applications to gospel principles should also lead to increased happiness. Although, admittedly 'real life' definitely has its challenges.

I am very proud of the boy you were, the missionary you are, and the man you are now and are becoming!

<3

Teresa said...

Loved hearing from you! I'm SO excited for you to be able to attend the temple in your new assignment!!!

Keep doing what you are doing!!