Saturday, September 1, 2018

The Bathsheba Plan

Before I go to bed tonight, I should make sure that I actually have a solid plan for my Primary lesson tomorrow.

I'll start with "Cliffman." I'll have to remember to cut a piece of paper into the shape of a person and bring some tape to stick it to the chalkboard. After the cliffman game, I'll explain that bad choices lead us into temptation while good choices lead us away from it. Then I'll say that the scriptures tell us how an otherwise good person started making some bad decisions which lead him into serious sin.

Then I'll go into the summary. After Saul died, David became king. One night, while he was high up in the palace, David looked down and saw a beautiful woman. He asked who she was and learned that her name was Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah. David wanted her to be his wife, so he invited her over and had her pretend that they were married (let's just leave it at that). Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, was a soldier, and David wanted to get Uriah out of the way so Bathsheba could marry him, so David had Uriah carry orders to Joab, a military leader, saying that Uriah should be put on the front lines and that everyone else should retreat so Uriah would be killed. David's bad choices lead him to commit some very serious sins.

I'll spend any and all remaining time on the Application part of the lesson. Where did David go wrong? What should he have done instead? What can we do to avoid falling into temptation and sin?

It's not much of a lesson plan, and it has some tricky transitions in it. I'll have to navigate this lesson carefully. But to do that, I am first going to need to rest. I'll need all my mental faculties to help me pull off this lesson, so if I want this lesson to go well, I had better go get some sleep.

No comments: