Sunday, December 2, 2018

Last Second Service

Today was, or was supposed to be, a special day of service for members of the church, but I had completely forgotten about that until my sister, who had been having an "off" day, came out of her room after a long nap and asked me to make her some quesadillas for dinner. As I did so, she reminded me about this day of service by telling me that this, making her dinner, counted.

I wouldn't have thought that doing such a small thing, especially for a family member, really counted as service. It seems too small and too (for a lack of a better term) expected. People are supposed to help their family. There's nothing "special" about that.

But I think that it still counts for something. If service is simply helping others, then making my sister some dinner certainly counts for at least that much. Whether it could be considered to be a special act of service, even though it was such a small gesture, is debatable, but small acts of service add up, and while I might doubt the importance of the service I do, I certainly wouldn't want others who offer similar service to do so. Mom cooks us meals all the time, and I want her to know that that counts and that we appreciate it.

So, sure, I guess that making my sister a light meal counts as doing some service for her, and I did it before midnight tonight, so I guess it counts as doing it "today," even though it's not "today" anymore as I'm writing this. It was only a small act of service, and it happened only about half an hour before midnight, but I suppose it technically counts as today's act of service.

No comments: