Friday, February 3, 2023

What I Thought Was Right

Today, I took a driving test, but it took a turn for the worse for a reason that I didn't expect. I was asked to pull over in a residential area, the kind with rounded curbs. I typically use those curbs to help me align my right tires, to make sure I'm close enough to the sidewalk and not too far out in the street. This, however, was apparently the wrong thing to do. By using the curb as my guide, I "struck the curb," which is categorized as a "Critical Driving Error" and grounds for automatic failure. I did what I thought was right, but it turned out that I was wrong.

But you know what? Live and learn. All we can do is to do the best we can with the knowledge we have. And when we learn more and realize that we had been making mistakes, we try to correct our behavior and do what we think is right, based on the new knowledge we've gained.

We should all try to do what we think is right. I usually do, and for most of my life, I generally have. But we should all also be trying to deepen our understanding of what's right and what's wrong because there are times when what we thought was right turns out to be wrong and in need of correction.

No comments: