Sunday, December 29, 2013

Let's Agree to Disagree

While I was looking on Facebook for something uplifting and sharable, I stumbled upon a Facebook page that posted, or at least shared, the following photo:



This photo is particularly relevant because of how I found the page. One of my friends shared a photo that this group had posted, depicting a comic that I find myself surprised that I agree with. The comic showed a man having a conversation with God:

Man: Lord, why do you pile all these troubles upon us? It's because of the gays, isn't it?
God: Yes, it is.
Man: I knew it. You're punishing us for their abominations.
God: Oh, no no no. Not at all. I'm punishing you for the [poor] way you treat them.

The general feeling I get from the Facebook page I stumbled upon is that those who claim to be Christian should try to act more like Christians. We should be loving, and even tolerant, even with those with which we disagree. I agree with that much. But then there comes up the question of gay marriage, and suddenly I no longer know where I stand. By opposing gay marriage, am I being intolerant?

Hold on. I blogged about this once. I know I did. Let me go back and remember what I said then.

Okay, I blogged about it in two places: In Faith and Following on June 28, and Political Ramblings on June 30. In my opinion, they're better read in reverse order.

Reviewing my opinion in Faith and Following, I remember that while I have no personal convictions against gay marriage, I believe that God is against it, so I cast my vote against it as well, not because I oppose gay marriage or gay people, but because I trust God. I have nothing against gay people and I don't think I'm being intolerant of them. As I said before:

If it were up to me, I'd let people - no, I'd want people to follow their hearts courageously, and not have the government or the general public trying to tear them down for acting according to their beliefs.

I want them to act according to their convictions, but I also want them to understand that I have to follow mine. It's nothing personal. We're both just tying to do what we think is right, and I hope we can just agree to disagree. There is a disagreement, but I'm not trying to change anybody's minds and I hope they don't try to change mine. I don't want to start any arguments. I'm just trying to follow God.

I hope that we can all be kind to one another, even though we disagree on this point. Rick Warren once said:

Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

I hope that I can be compassionate with those I disagree with without compromising my conviction to follow God. We made be opponents, politically, but we don't have to be enemies, personally. At least, that's how I feel about it.

No comments: