Thursday, September 17, 2015

Why Elder Zeballos Was Allowed to Be Baptized

At the beginning of his talk, "If You Will Be Responsible," Elder Jorge F. Zeballos shared the story of his baptism. As a minor, he had been attending church for quite some time, but he needed his parents' permission to be baptized. Unfortunately, up to this point, Elder Zeballos' family hadn't been very receptive to the gospel. When the missionaries who were teaching Elder Zeballos asked his father for that permission, his father answered:
Elders, over the past six months, I have seen my son Jorge get up early every Sunday morning, put on his best clothes, and walk to church. I have seen only a good influence from the Church in his life.
Then, and for that reason, he gave Jorge Zeballos his permission to be baptized.

As members of the church, we have the responsibility to show a good example of how the church is a good influence in our lives. As we do so, we will be instruments in the hands of the Lord, helping Him to soften the hearts of others and help them be more receptive to the gospel. I don't know whether Elder Zeballos' family has accepted the gospel yet, but, given the example Elder Zeballos has set for them, I'd be fairly surprised if they haven't.

Let us try to set a good example to our friends and families. Let's show them how the gospel has been a good influence in our lives and how membership in this church helps makes us better, more Christian people. Then, after seeing our example, their hearts may be softened, and their view of the church may become more favorable.

I testify that membership in this church has indeed helped me to become a better person. It has helped me be more service-minded and more pure. It motivates me to strive to improve myself. It helps me to seek spirituality and wisdom. Almost all of the goodness, wisdom, and strength I have now has come through the church. This is a good organization, and more importantly than that, the gospel it teaches is true. It has enriched my life. If you haven't accepted the gospel yet, I invite you to pray about it, and specifically ask God if it wouldn't make your life better. I promise that it will.