Friday, March 30, 2018

Listening Without Distractions

My family spent most of today preparing for Conference, or, more specifically, preparing for the meal we'll host between the morning and afternoon sessions of General Conference. We bought a lot of food, made a six-layer bean dip and a cheese, cut up vegetables for a veggie tray, and mixed up some egg salad and tuna salad. However, the thing I did that helped me most to prepare for Conference actually happened a few days ago. The other day, while I was riding in a car with a few friends, we all listened to a few General Conference talks, and we really listened to them. Naturally, there wasn't much else to do, and that's what made it so perfect a situation for listening to Conference talks; there were no distractions.

I hope to replicate that tomorrow. I won't do a whole lot of driving tomorrow, mostly because I'll be spending most of the day listening to General Conference, and I intend to really listen. The key to doing so will be to ignore any distractions as much as possible tomorrow and to really tune in and focus on the talks. Taking notes might help, so I will, but logging onto the Internet certainly won't, so I won't. At least, not until I need to blog. Even if Wifi is available at church tomorrow, I'll make sure my web browser is closed during the sessions of Conference, and if any other distractions come up, I'll deal with them as quickly as I can so I can go back to listening.

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to listen to General Conference talks without any distractions, and I hope I get that opportunity again tomorrow.

No comments: