Thursday, February 2, 2023

Open Door

About a month ago, I visited another ward. My intention was to visit my sister's ward, but another ward was meeting in the same building at the same time, on the opposite side of the lobby. I ended up going to the other ward instead because, of the two chapels, only the other ward's chapel doors were open.

An open door is an invitation. It tells people that they are welcome to come and go as they please. Sure, on some level, I knew that I was welcome in my sister's ward as well. All I had to do was open the door myself.

And granted, I knew why the door was closed. They were doing their Sacrament. That wouldn't've been a good time to interrupt them. I'm sure there are good reasons to close the doors for a while. But it still left me wondering whether I should go in or go elsewhere, and that's not the kind of message I think we want to send. We want to let people know that our doors are always open, at least metaphorically.

In a song from Frozen, and in one of my favorite songs, there's a line that says that "Love is an open door." I hope the doors of our and God's love stay open so we can go through them, so we can visit each other, and so we can ultimately make our way back to God.

No comments: