Sunday, July 13, 2014

How Do You Wear a CTR Ring?

How do you wear a CTR ring? I recently got one, and I put it on with the top of the shield facing the back of my hand, so that when my hand hung by my side, the shield would be right-side up, and anyone looking at my hand from any direction other than just behind me would see the ring as being right-side up.

However, with it on my finger that way, I saw the ring as upside down. That didn't bother me because I knew it was a CTR ring. Whenever I saw it, I got the reminder to Choose The Right, but recently, I removed the ring and put it back on so that the top of the shield is pointing toward the tip of my finger, so the shield is right-side up as I look at it, but upside down for everyone else. Looking at my ring this way, the reminder is much stronger, and now I'm slightly torn between the two ways to wear the ring. Should I have the shield right-side up for me or for others?

Having the ring right-side up for me increases the potency of the reminder to Choose The Right, which is exactly the reason I got the ring in the first place. Wearing the ring this way allows it to more effectively fulfill its primary function.

However, there are secondary benefits to having the shield be right-side up to others. Some might see the letters C.T.R., and wonder what they stand for. They may even become curious enough to ask. Then I could explain that members of my church often where CTR rings to remind them to Choose The Right. Perhaps the conversation could continue from there, and it may be of benefit to the person who saw and wondered about the CTR ring I was wearing. I somehow doubt that such a conversation would take place if the casual observer couldn't clearly see the letters on the ring, e.g. if they were upside down.

Still, did I get this ring to be a CTR ring, or to be a member missionary conversation starter? Was it meant to be a reminder to me to Choose The Right, or to invite others to accidentally ask me a question about my church? To phrase the question in the most selfish way possible, did I get this ring for the benefit of my soul, or theirs? The answer, of course, is the former. I got this ring for my benefit, to help me choose the right. I wasn't really thinking about other people when I got it. It was all about me.

But now I've learned that there are two ways to wear a CTR ring. One of those ways helps me more, and does better at what I got the CTR ring for it to do, and the other way has an improved chance of getting others to ask about the ring, which, if they do, will cause it to be of benefit to them as well. Either way, the ring helps remind me to Choose The Right (to either a greater or lesser degree) and it carries a small chance of getting people to ask about it (though that chance may be increased by wearing the ring a certain way). Either way, the ring does some good for both parties, but should I wear the ring so that it does more good for me or for others?

Phrased that way, the question seems obvious. Of course I should try to help others more than I should help myself. But at the same time, I kind of need all the help that I can get. Does it make sense to worry about others' souls when one's own soul is in jeopardy? Having missionary-style conversations with others can improve one's spirituality, but unless their spirituality is already in good shape, their missionary-style conversations won't carry much spiritual strength. Which comes first: convincing others to be righteous, or being righteous yourself? If personal righteousness must precede invitations for others to be righteous, then wouldn't it make sense for me to wear my CTR ring so that it'll be of maximum benefit to me, so I'll be better prepared to answer people's spiritual questions if and when they ask?

Perhaps I'm just being selfish, or perhaps I'm being practical. Either way, I'm out of time to talk about it. I've got to go get ready for church. I still haven't fully made up my mind on this, but for now, until I decide otherwise, I'm going to keep the ring facing me.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I say wear the ring for you. The more you walk in the light the more light you have to share. I suspect that nearly the same number of people are likely to notice and ask about your ring either way. Also if you explain how you use it to help yourself remember to choose the right, they may get an idea to help themselves in their personal challenges.