Friday, November 28, 2014

The Bailey Effect

You've heard of the Butterfly Effect, in which the exact path and power of a hurricane might be affected by the flapping of a butterfly's wings some weeks before. Last night, my family watched It's a Wonderful Life, in which we witnessed how life in Bedford Falls Pottersville would have been different without George Bailey. In that movie, Clarence makes the comment, "Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"

My hope is that none of us have to have a near-death experience followed by a foray into an alternate universe in order to see the value of our existence. We each influence others in ways we may never fully realize. Our friends, neighbors, and family members have all had their lives changed by our presence in it. For George Bailey, it was a positive influence that he didn't see and couldn't appreciate. In our lives, we would do well to consider what kind of impact we have on the lives of others, and evaluate whether that's the kind of influence we'd like to make. Thankfully, many of the people I know have positive influences on those around them, including me, but now I wonder, am I having a positive influence on them? And how strong is my influence on others? How would the world be different if I had never been in it?

Mind you, those questions were rhetorical. I don't actually want to know. I just think that it's something worth thinking about. I want to have a George-Bailey-like effect. I want to have a strong, positive influence on others. Maybe I already do. But even if I do, I know that my influence could be stronger and more positive, so there's always room for improvement. Then again, the same could be said for the strength of the wind caused by the flapping of a butterfly's wings. Maybe small acts of human kindness are all that are needed to make the world a better place. That's what George Bailey learned that Christmas Eve. May we all learn that lesson, too, and learn to appreciate the value of our lives and the power of the influence we have on others.

No comments: