Monday, January 30, 2017

Spheres of Influence

Today, in Sociology class, we discussed some of the "circles" we live in and how the people who share those circles with us can influence our thoughts and behavior. For example, when our families and friends share their thoughts with us, we're likely to hear them out and bring our line of thinking more closely in-tune with theirs, so when a friend of mine says something in favor of a certain person or policy, I'm likely to reconsider any negative opinion I may have of that person or policy.

Naturally, the strength of this influence depends largely on the nature of the relationship. I'm less likely to be swayed by the political opinions of my neighbor than I am by those of my brother. However, as long as the person sharing their opinion with you also shares at least one circle with you, there will always be some influence.

There are many different circles or (because it'd make for a better title) spheres of influence. One's family is usually a strong circle. One's religious group can be a very strong circle as well. Each nation is a circle, but it's also split into the often much stronger inner circles of political parties. There are also circles for communities, neighborhoods, schools, workplaces, clubs, and friendships, to say nothing of the circles formed by ethnicities, nationalities, cultures, or any of the other traits that people use to define themselves.

Each person in any given circle is influenced by the other members of that circle, which can be pretty frightening. I don't want to be "influenced" by the people around me. However, given that this influence is occurring, it's important to know about, because now that I've realized that everyone I associate with, from my coworkers to my Facebook friends to literally everyone else I know, has some influence on me, I can decide whether to accept or reject that influence. For example, some of my Facebook friends hold opinions that differ from mine. While this difference of opinion is essential to a healthy society and it has helped me to moderate my views somewhat, I now know to be cautious so that their opinions don't completely change mine, at least, not without my consent.

The good news is that we are still each the masters of our own minds. We still control what we believe and what we think -- It's just that those in our circles have some influence over that as well. Think of it like  a gentle current in a lake. A boat floating in the middle of a lake will eventually drift away from the streams that feed the lake and toward the streams that drain it. However, any boat with a paddle and a knowledge of the prevailing current can decide whether they fight the current or follow it. Similarly, we can choose whether to listen to those in our social circles or not.

This Sociology class has been very interesting so far. It has taught me about the social structures I hardly noticed living in, and it has opened my eyes to some of the social forces that subtly influence my behavior. Now I need to decide, on a case by case basis, whether I'll allow those influences to prevail or not. Every voice I hear has an effect on me, but I am the one who decides whose voices I listen to.

No comments: