Sunday, March 5, 2017

Meaning, Peace, and Joy

Bishop Dean M. Davies concluded his talk on the subject of worship by teaching us that:
Through sincere and heartfelt worship, we blossom and mature in hope, faith, and charity. And through that process, we gather heavenly light into our souls that infuses our lives with divine meaning, abiding peace, and everlasting joy.
That is the blessing of worship in our lives.
As I've grown, I've learned the value of that blessing. I can't tell you what I wouldn't give to have some meaning in my life, or rather, to know what the meaning is. Very recently, I was desperate for inner peace. And have come to believe that joy is the ultimate goal of our existence. If all of these blessings can come from worshipping God, then we should certainly give our worship more than a mere weekly consideration.

Now, I'm not saying that we should worship any being who offers us peace, happiness, and a sense of purpose, but since many of us are already committed to worshipping God anyway, we might as well make a good effort of it, if only because the blessings that come from doing so are among the most important blessings we could acquire. Worshipping God is worth it, if only for the blessings.  I could use more blessings, and I could use those blessings in particular, so, going forward, I'm going to put a little more thought into how I can worship God better.

No comments: