Monday, October 30, 2017

The Shelf Life of Inspiration

I occasionally takes notes when I notice something blogworthy, to remind myself to blog about it later. Yet, when I review my lists, desperately searching for something to blog about, I often find that I no longer want to blog about those things. This has taught me an important and unfortunate lesson: Inspiration doesn't keep.

We often receive spiritual impressions to do things, like to call or visit someone or to share the gospel with someone. Often, those impressions come at a critical moment, giving us just enough time to act on the, and only if we act quickly. But if we don't act on them quickly enough, the window of opportunity may close, perhaps forever.

There are probably topics that I should have blogged about sooner. I have countless notes of possibly blogworthy thoughts that I don't consider blogworthy any more. Now doesn't seem like the right time to blog about them, possibly because the time in which I could have blogged about them has past.

Optimistically, it's possible that inspiration will strike again, so I'll keep the notes of the thoughts that I once thought might be worth blogging about, in hopes that I'll feel like blogging about them again sometime. God does believe in second chances, after all. But we don't get a second chance at everything, so it's important for us to act on our impressions the first chance we get. We don't always get to wait until it's convenient for us. We often need to act on inspiration immediately, knowing that the impression probably isn't going to last.

No comments: