Thursday, May 27, 2021

Calling Dibs on the Higher Shelves

Today, I was part of a group of people who were called upon to clean a kitchen. Being one of the taller of us, I "called dibs" on cleaning the higher shelves. But that wasn't where I was needed. Being also one of the younger of the volunteers, I was the one who would have the least difficulty getting down to clean the lower shelves. It wasn't glamorous or appealing work, and it wasn't the work I wanted, but it was the work that was needed of me.

We don't always get the assignments we want or feel most qualified for. Sometimes, God has other plans for us. All of the work needs to be done, and there are going to be times when the less-pleasant work falls to us. Naturally, I would rather have cleaned the higher shelves, and I even said as much, but that wasn't what was needed. I needed to clean the lower shelves, so I did.

We can ask for whatever blessings and assignments we want, and sometimes we get them, but at other times, we are given other, less desirable work to do, and it's still our responsibility to do it, regardless of what we wanted. I would have rather cleaned the higher shelves, but I'm glad that I was still willing to clean the lower ones, despite calling dibs.

No comments: