Thursday, May 6, 2021

The Need For Love

Elder Gary E. Stevenson began his Saturday Morning talk by sharing the story of how a group of rabbits had significantly better health outcomes because they were given kindness and love in addition to their normal care and food. I don't personally know about the health benefits of kindness, but I know that our lives can be improved, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, by sharing and receiving love and kindness.

Case in point, I've been feeling kind of stressed lately. It's finals time, and I've been struggling a bit with my final paper, balancing my other responsibilities, and just dealing with the situation rather poorly. I'm sure my stress has become noticeable because my family has made an effort to show me some extra kindness, and it has really helped me. It's comforting to know that there are people in this world who truly love me, even when I'm not at my most lovable. I don't know what affect this kindness may have had on my physical health, but I'm happy to say that my emotional health has begun to improve.

People need love. It might be a physical need, an emotional need, or even a spiritual need, but whatever kind of need it is, people need love. And, in order for people to feel love, other people have to share it. That's part of why we should always try to share love with others, and perhaps with ourselves as well. Love is essential. The more of it we can share, the better. And, unfortunately, it's when people are the hardest to love that they are likely most in need of it.

So, let's all try to show love and kindness, to ourselves and to each other. We all need it.

No comments: