Monday, June 28, 2021

Seeking Spiritual Nourishment

Today, when I went to church, I came seeking spiritual nourishment. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Instead of hearing a message that would increase my faith or help me have the courage and determination to press forward, I got to sit through half an hour of asking for volunteers for various service projects followed by a half-hour lecture on how we're not doing enough home teaching / ministering. Sadly, that's par for the course for Elder's Quorum.

I hate that the church keeps asking for my time and service, but it often fails to offer me what I want in return. I want peace. I want spiritual power. When I go to church, I want to feel the Spirit, not feel pressured to do more service or feel belittled for not doing enough. You can't drink water out of an empty cup. I need to have my cup refilled.

Though maybe I shouldn't look to the church, or at least not to church meetings, for my spiritual nourishment. I can get spiritual nourishment through more independent methods, like prayer, scripture study, and singing hymns. I can get spiritual nourishment by meditating, especially out in nature or at the temple. I have more than one chance, once per week, to gain the spiritual nourishment I need for the week. I'm grateful that there are so many sources for spiritual nourishment, beyond the source that's only accessible on Sundays.

I didn't get much spiritual nourishment today, but that's not a problem. I'll get some myself tomorrow.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I am sorry that it felt that way to you and I have felt that way too sometimes. I agree that sometimes our meetings are not as inspiring as they could be. But generally, we get out what we put in regardless of the leader, teacher or speaker.
Strangely, we often find spiritual replenishment when we answer the call to serve and keep our commitments. True, it can be overdone, but if most of us would look at where we spend our time and energy, we would realize that we are not out of balance in that direction at all. If people would do their ministering,they would feel the spirit more and the call to repentance in that field would not be needed.
You are right that we cannot look to the church meetings to keep us nourished. They can help, but as you say and the prophet has been saying for years, we must learn to seek spiritual nourishment and connection to God personally and as families. Ultimately, we are each responsible for our own spiritual health. The church exists is to help us and to help us help each other, but not to do it all for us.