Wednesday, July 28, 2021

A Balanced Day

Ages ago, I had a really good day. A day that was remarkably good. A day that was so good that I put thought into finding out why it was so good, so I could try to have as good a day again. And I think I just did.

That really good day ages ago was good, I determined, because it had a good balance of physical, spiritual, and mental work, rest, and recreation.

For today, I started with physical work, vacuuming the church with the help of a friend. My physical recreation took the for of a brief walk, only about 10 minutes, not quite enough to cause exertion. And, of course, I spent part of the day sitting down, at physical rest.

My spiritual work took the form of service, in the form of vacuuming the church building. I have no idea what spiritual rest is or if it's necessary, but my spiritual recreation involved the singing of hymns.

My mental work and recreation involved planning, preparing, and running a game of D&D. I'll grant you that it wasn't much work. It wasn't like homework or a mentally taxing job. However, some thought was put into the preparation of tonight's game and in the actual running of the game. Running D&D involves doing math, managing multiple characters and their unique abilities, tactics, and plenty of improvisation. I'd say that preparing the D&D game was mental recreation, whereas running it took at least a little bit of mental work.

And if you don't count that, you can at least count writing this blog post as a form of mental work.

And mental rest is easy. I can turn to YouTube for that.

Today, I had a decent balance of physical, spiritual, and mental work, rest, and recreation, and today was a decent day. Here's to even better days with even better balances in the future.

No comments: