Monday, June 21, 2010

Andrew on the mail/email discussion

Dear Mom,
 
I'm just adding to the discussion here. My real Email will come in a little bit.
 
Like you (Mom) said, Emailing is free for me, and I can print all the pages I want at no cost to me (for now). But I have no idea when I'll be transfered, where I'll go after this, or what type of printing possibilities I'll have there, so we can't count on that being an option. Then again, after a bit of quick math in my head, I realized that if the letter (or Email) being sent to me is three pages or shorter, it would be better to just have them Emailled to me so I can print them. They'd get to me faster and cost the same or less.
 
Miriam suggested the use of a word processor to shrink a longer letter into a more printably economical size. I'm not sure if I'm smart even to figure out if I can do that. I suppose I could just ask a librarian if I could put the Email through a word prossessor before printing. That would be worth looking into when I get transfered. While I'm in Flin Flon, though, you can all just Email me whatever you want and I'll resist the urge to read it on the spot rather than printing it then, reading it later, and hopefully finding time to reply to it some time down the road.
 
Man, this is a complicated issue and a far more troublesome one than I thought it would be. =/ So, for now, just keep doing whatever you're doing, and if I find out (after moving into a new area) that it doesn't make sense to keep printing your Emails, we'll work something else out later.
 
PLAN B. This is a note to anyone who might invest their postage money in a regular correspondance with me while I'm on my mission. Even though I don't have any of my own money right now (all the money I have access to belongs either to the church or to my family), I don't plan on being penniless forever. After returning home, I plan on getting a job and earning money that I can use to pay back anyone who continued to communicate with me weekly, even when I insisted that Emailing is no longer an option.
 
Basically, if I say 'Don't Email me. Write me normal letters instead.' and you don't like that idea, don't worry about it. I'll pay you back when I get home and get a job.
 
If I've done my numbers right, three people (Mom, Ben, and Sariah) sending me a weekly letter at 75 cents per letter Times 52 weeks Times 1 year equals about $100. I should be able to pay that back.
 
Love, Elder Andrew Robarts

5 comments:

motherof8 said...

My reply-

You don't need to pay people back for writing to you! Benjamin uses stamps I buy, so don't pay him back except by writing to him when he goes.

I think Ryan supports his family well enough that Sariah can afford the stamps. They manage their finances pretty well. And they do plenty of things that I cannot even afford to think about.

Besides, I don't think the Lord is going to bless us quite as much if we write to you expecting a refund! ; )

The people for whom it is too much of a financial burden to buy a 75 cent stamp won't do it. Those of us who do manage, manage. If in the future we need help you can give, good; otherwise don't worry about it.

Pay good deeds forward.

You worry a little to much. : )

love you!
Mom

motherof8 said...

Andrew answered
You're right. I worry WAY too much. I'll pay it forward and hopefully find a way to repay my loved ones with kindness rather than money. This entire situation seems to be over my head. Never mind. I'm worrying too much. I promise that I'll spend at least one hour of today actively trying to relax and de-stress.

Miriam said...

It is good to practice relaxing, expecially when you have such a busy life.

When we are worried or busy or stressed out all the time, we wear ourselves out and then we aren't as able to help ourselves and others be happy. Even Heavenly Father & Jesus took time to rest. I think helping us rest & relax is one of the reasons they made the Earth beautiful for us to enjoy.

That's nice that you don't have to pay to print out. Maybe I was looking at the wrong library website, or maybe they just didn't update their site when they made a change or something.

Miriam said...

It's not that hard to move your e-mail to a word processor.

1. Open a Word Processor, such as Microsoft Word.
2. Open your e-mail--just like you are going to read it.
3. Resist the urge to read it right away. (This will be the hard part)
4. Click & drag your mouse to highlight all the text.
5. "Copy" it by holding down the "Ctrl" key and hitting "c"
6. Go back to your new Word document, and "Paste" by holding down the "Ctrl" key & hitting "v" (yeah, "p" would be nice, but that's for print.)

To change the amount of space at the edge of the page, you will need to adjust the margins. You can do this before or after you add the text--it doesn't matter when.

Click on the File menu at the top of the page & select "Page Setup". Go to the Margins section, and change all the margins to 0.5" (most printers can go to about 0.25inches, so if you need to really squeeze it in you can do that).

When you are in your Word document, you can select all the text by holding down the "Ctrl" key & pressing "a" (or by clicking and dragging the mouse). With all the text selected, you can adjust the font. You should see drop-down boxes to select the Font & Size or a Font menu at the top.

Two good small fonts are Arial & Times New Roman. You can set the font down to 10 points and it will still be pretty easy to read.

You are right, if you have any trouble, I'm sure a librarian would be happy to help.

Sariah said...

Oh my godness, NO WAY are you going to pay anyone back who writes you, no matter how frequently they do it.

I mailed this week's letter but now I'm wondering if I should go back to e-mailing. lol I usually keep my letter to one page/week, so I'll e-mail until I hear that you can't print them, then I'll mail. :)