Wednesday, February 18, 2015

How to Learn God's Plan for You

Since I blogged about Sister McConkie's talk yesterday, it seems only fitting that I blog about Elder Godoy's talk today. As I reviewed his talk this morning, two passages stood out to me.

The first came as he was talking about how we can know God's plan for us.
And what about us? What does the Lord expect from each of us?

We do not need to see an angel to obtain understanding. We have the scriptures, the temple, living prophets, our patriarchal blessings, inspired leaders, and, above all, the right to receive personal revelation to guide our decisions.
In his list, Elder Godoy included prophets as being able to help us know God's plan for us, but he also listed the scriptures, our patriarchal blessings, and our right to receive personal revelation. Like my Mom commented on yesterday's post, we can get confirmation for any and all answers we get to our spiritual questions. We don't have to take the prophets' words for things. Yes, they are a source of God's words, but they're not the only source. If you have a question about anything a prophet or anyone else says, you can take the question to God.

The second passage that stood out to me was a powerful testimony he gave toward the middle of his talk:
We are children of Almighty God. He is our Father, He loves us, and He has a plan for us. We are not here in this life just to waste our time, grow old, and die. God wants us to grow and achieve our potential.
 Probably my favorite aspect of the gospel is the concept of eternal progression, partly because God is Eternal, and "eternal progression" means progressing to become like God. We have that potential, and that's incredible. But since we have such great potential, that makes it all the more important that we don't waste our potential. We are not perfect, but we should continually strive to progress toward perfection - toward Godhood. It's a lofty goal, but it's not impossible, and God has a plan to get us there.

I just caught myself wondering what God's specific plan is for me, but then it occurred to me that I just listed several ways I could find out, including by reading my patriarchal blessing (which I haven't done in several months), and praying, which I can do right now. I can commune with God to find out what He wants me to do during my life, this stage of my life, and even right now. And so can you. If you feel like you could use some guidance, turn to God, and then turn to the means that God has provided by which we can receive messages from Him. Read your patriarchal blessing, if you have one. Go to the temple if you can. Read the scriptures and the words of the prophets. And above all else, pray. If you seek to know God's plan for you, He will help you find it.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Amen! Now, to remember to do it in our busyness and to listen and obey. It sounds so simple, but takes some effort and real desire. Silly of us (by us I mean me) that we so often let less important and less helpful things keep us from the source of light, knowledge, help, and guidance.