Thursday, February 12, 2015

(Not) Learning From Mistakes

How long do you think it takes to learn a lesson? How many times does a person have to make the same mistake before they learn to stop making it? I told myself late last night that I should blog early the next morning - this morning - to show that I had learned not to procrastinate blogging. Obviously, I hadn't.

I'm also struggling to learn the lesson of printing up copies of my essays for Pathway peer reviews before it's almost time to go. I'm sure there are dozens of other lessons that I still struggle with, that I could have learned by now if only I had learned from my mistake the first time I had made it. I guess that's why I'm still alive - I have a few more mistakes to make before my lessons sink in.

Making mistakes is a normal part of life. We're supposed to learn from them, but sometimes that takes time. Thankfully, no mistake we make in this life needs to have any permanent effect on the next. Even serious mistakes and sins can be repented of. That was part of God's original, perfect plan. You could almost say that we're supposed to make mistakes and learn from them. I think I'm good at following the "making mistakes" part of the plan, but I could clearly improve on the "learn from them" part.

Optimally, a person only has to make a mistake once to learn from it. Actually, a person theoretically doesn't need to make any mistakes at all, as long as they can learn from the mistakes of others. But even then, I'm sure they'll make some mistakes of their own, too. We all do. It's part of life. Ironically, the only way to get out of making mistakes is also the reason we make them in the first place - to learn from them.

No comments: