Monday, September 17, 2018

Growth through the Holy Ghost

President Dallin H. Oaks titled his Sunday Morning remarks "Small and Simple Things." In those remarks, he spoke of many "Small and simple things" we've been counseled to do, such as reading scriptures, saying prayers, visiting sacred places like the temple and Sacrament meetings, and so on. President Oaks said "Though each of these practices may seem to be small and simple, over time they result in powerful spiritual uplift and growth." But what I think is most notable about this quote is what follows: The reason the growth happens. "This occurs because each of these small and simple things invites the companionship of the Holy Ghost."

Last night, I wrote about how the Holy Ghost is more than just our conscience (I think. I was dead tired last night). Now, I'm learning, the Holy Ghost isn't just a comforter or a revelator either. He is also a driving force behind our spiritual growth.

In order for us to grow to become more like God, we need to identify specific changes we need to make and then have the will-power to work on that. The Holy Ghost can help us with both of those things. He can inspire us to know how we should try to improve ourselves, and He can inspire us with the motivation to get started and/or keep going.

I am grateful for the gift and power of the Holy Ghost in my life, and I know that I have a lot of growing left to do, so I had better watch myself and try to regularly do the things that invite the companionship of the Holy Ghost. They may be "small and simple things," but by inviting the Holy Ghost into our lives, they can gradually bring about great spiritual growth.

No comments: