Thursday, October 27, 2022

What I Want to Remember About Today

I just saw a Facebook post that said "There is such a difference between asking 'What did you do today?' versus 'What do you want to remember about today?'," and that thought hit me pretty hard. For me, the answer to the first question is "Not Much," but the answer to the second question is far more interesting.

I want to remember that song that I heard for the first time and share with a friend whom I thought might also like to hear it.

I want to remember that time a met offense with humility and, in doing so, strengthened a bond that otherwise might have weakened.

I want to remember that I helped people about as well as I could have, even when I didn't feel like doing so.

I want to remember (and laugh at the comedy of errors) that I took four trains and a bus to get home this evening, intentionally walking two blocks in the wrong direction in the company of a stranger, all in a vain attempt to avoid a stopped train and the complications caused thereby, when I could have simplified my route home significantly (and probably gotten home sooner), simply by sitting down somewhere and practicing patience.

I want to remember that I got winded jogging a short distance across campus (these aren't chronological, by the way) and that I should probably put in some work on the treadmills at the Fitness Center, not just on the strength-training workout machines (that, or I could jog more on my own time, like instead of walking from one place to another, because I can do that anywhere). 

I want to remember a chance encounter I had almost forgotten until now. I saw the man with the lunchbox again, the one who risked missing the bus one day to make sure his kid would have a lunch.

I want to remember wanting to tell the man that he was a good man and a good father, but not being able to, because he's deaf, and I can't sign.

I want to remember a brand new idea I just had: carrying paper. I could have written him a note, if I had thought of it and if I had had the means.

I want to remember to write him a note tomorrow and save it for the next time I see him at the bus stop.

So, yeah, no, I didn't do much today, but as I think back on it, there's a lot I want to remember from it.

No comments: