Monday, February 9, 2009

To paths that I do not know...

I went on an exchange with the missionaries last night. It was cold and a little discouraging. No one was really interested in hearing the gospel message, but we kinda expected that. What I didn't expect was how unable I was to contribute to the conversation. I froze up. I didn't know what to say. A little training in the MTC should take care of that problem, but in the meantime, I expected better of myself. I've preformed in plays before, and I've been told I was pretty good at it, so why am I so shy when I'm talking to strangers? Elder Wessling told me that talking to people got easier over time. Maybe I just need to get into character. I need to mentally become a missionary before I can do what missionaries do. That makes sense, right? The Missionary Training Center should be able to help me do that.

Anyway, THANK YOU for all of your guesses! I would've guessed something, but I'm so indecisive, I don't even know what to guess. I like Dave & Phillis Harris's guess. I hope they're right. I also got a kick out of Jared's guess. He's probably got the best odds of being right out of everyone, except for Dave and Phillis. Maybe all three of them are right, plus one or two of the rest of you guys.

I hope you all had fun guessing where I'm going to go. There are still several hours left until the big reveal, so any more guesses still have time to be posted before this evening. I'll post the results and winners in tomorrow's post, assuming the all-knowing envelope arrives today. See you then!

-Elder Andrew Robarts

It may not be on a mountain height, Or over a stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle's front My Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice he calls To paths that I do not know,
I'll answer 'Dear Lord, with my hand in thine, I'll go where you want me to go.'
-Hymn. 270, 'I'll go where you want me to go'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's totally true, the MTC sets you up for talking to people! There's the scritpure that says to treasure up the knowledge first, and that's when the Spirit will fill your mouth. The knowledge isn't always just the stuff you know, but how you know you to say it, and the lord iwll bring the right phrases to your mind. You've got such a great testimony Andrew, I'm not worried at all about you! By the way, on my mission, it was weeks before I was really comfortable talking to peope!

Sariah said...

I think it's natural for even an actor to have a hard time expressing something so important and sacred. This isn't acting, it's real life and that's scary! These aren't words you're reciting from a script, it's your testimony. And it's scary to just put it out there in front of strangers, not knowing how they'll receive it.

AJ's advice is so good. Treasure up the knowledge first. Study the gospel and work on strengthening your testimony. There is a lot to memorize and that will be important, but make sure you're focusing on really learning and understanding it, not just memorizing it.

You may never get over your fear entirely, but the more you trust the Lord, the more you'll feel his guidance and influence in everything you do and say as a missionary. Trust Him more than you trust yourself. He will take what you have to offer Him and will make it more; with His help, it will be enough. :)