Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 3, 2010

Dear Home,
 
Probably one of the hardest things about being amissionary is that you're so out of the loop with the rest of the world. Of course, I'm lucky that I have a loving family that keeps in touch with me, but still, comunication isn't always easy. Case in point, I'm visiting Prince Albert right now, and since it was Saskatchewan Day yesterday, we weren't able to Email then. Sorry for the delay. =/
 
Things have been going fairly well here. I believe I already told you about the truck driver (who may or may not still be planning on driving trucks. I think he's doing something else for work right now). He is VERY ready to recieve the gospel, and he wants his family to recieve it, too. ^^ He is what some missionaries would call a 'golden' investigator. I agree with the 'some missionaries'. I really look forward to teaching him more about the church. He sincerely wants to learn, and I know that God is blessing him for that. =)
 
One person that I haven't told you much about yet, though I really should have, is Elder Sheffield. Elder Sheffield is a lot like my younger brother and I are (which is probably why Elder Sheffield and I get along so well). He described me to his family as a red-headed him from California, so I suppose it'd be fair to say that he's a blonde me from Utah. We laugh at each others' jokes (most of the time), and we always love sharing ideas and insights with each other. We think a lot alike. I think serving with him has been helping me overcome a few personal weaknesses that I've been struggling with. One strength that he has that I wish I could gain is that he is amazingly good at giving compliments and being supportive. He is an astoundingly humble missionary, and very charitable. Plus, though this isn't really missionary-related, we share a lot of the same interests. We plan on exchanging Email addresses and continuing to be friends long after our missions. Plus, he (with a little help from one of his John Bytheway talks) has been encouraging me to do something that I've always wanted to do, but doubted if I had enough talent for it: writing a book. It would probably have to be a fiction book. One involving fantasy magic. You know, elves and wizards and the like. That would be so much fun. I'll have to make time for it somewhere later in my life. But in the meantime, I am a servant of God, and that calling requires as much time and attention as I can devote to it. Later, I will be a diligent scholar and employee, then, eventually, a husband. I expect that I'll only get busier as time goes by, assuming I use my time wisely.
 
But in the meantime, my time is up.
 
Love, your day-late, day-dreaming missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

1 comment:

Teresa said...

It's great to hear from you ANYTIME...even when we have to wait! Definitely worth the wait!