Sunday, August 17, 2014

Coming Home to Happiness

For those of you who aren't on Facebook, or who aren't Friends with my mom or sisters, my brother, Ben, came home from his mission yesterday, and after a little bit of a wild goose chase at the airport, we welcomed him with open arms and tears of joy. I wonder if our final homecoming will be anything like that, minus the wild goose chase. Family and close friends waiting with open arms, tears of joy at the reunion... It sounds nice. But of course, it won't be nearly so joyful if it's clear by your life up to that point that, after Judgement, you're probably headed downstairs. Ben's welcome was so warm partly because we knew he was returning with honor.

In life, a lot of our happiness depends on our personal righteousness. That counts double for the afterlife. Ben's homecoming yesterday was a good experience (a fun experience, a learning experience, and a sweet experience). We can have a similar experience when our missions on Earth are over and we're reunited with our loved ones on the other side, but only if we're righteous.

I like happiness. I enjoy being happy, and I enjoy making other people happy. Maybe that's part of why I blog. When I blog, I try to remind myself and others to be righteous, and if we are righteous, we can have greater happiness in this world and especially in the world to come, or rather, the world we'll be coming home to.

No comments: