Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Thoughts on Thoughts and Desires

Just kind of thinking out loud, here. Bear with me.

Our thoughts determine our choices.
Our choices determine our actions.
Our actions shape our character.
Our character determines our destiny.

So, how do we control our thoughts? What things influence our thoughts?

Everything we see or hear or experience influences our thoughts. We'll call those atmospheric influences. We can't always control our atmosphere, but sometimes we can. We can certainly chose what forms of media we read, watch, or listen to. That's a good start.

Can our behaviors influence our thoughts? Can people "fake it 'til they make it"? I think so. Controlling  our actions requires a conscious choice. Our subconscious thoughts can influence our decision-making process, but it's the conscious mind that has the final say in what we do. A person who's angry may feel like hurting people, but they can choose not to. A person who's tired can choose to go to work anyway, even if they feel like going to bed.

Making a conscious decision that contradicts what we feel like doing requires will-power. The more actions we take that go against our carnal or emotional desires, the stronger our will-power becomes. On the other hand, the more choices we make that are in line with what we want to do, the weaker our will-power becomes. Perhaps this is how some addictions start; people give in to what they want so frequently that they start to lose their ability to do otherwise.

Right now, I want to help my Mom move a piece of furniture. But I need to blog. But my blog can wait. Or maybe it's just that I have too little will-power to resist the temptation to take advantage of the opportunity to be helpful.

Somehow, I've gotten off of the topic of thoughts and onto the topic of desires. How are thoughts and desires related? We often think about the things we desire. Or is it that we desire the things that we think about? We can consciously choose to change our thoughts, but can we change our desires the same way? Our desires can influence our thoughts, but is the same true in reverse?

An experiment: I will consciously think I want a taco (not normally one of my more favorite foods), and see if that causes me to want a taco.

I am hungry now, but I'm not sure if I'm hungry for tacos. I can imagine myself wanting a taco, and enjoying a taco, but I don't think I actually want a taco yet. Maybe it takes time.

Why did I conduct an experiment that would make me hungry? I just ate! And it's time to work! I want to help my Mom. That was easy. But I had already wanted to help my Mom before I decided to try to want to eat a taco. The desire was already there.

Right now, what I want is to understand how my mind works, how my thoughts and desires influence each other and how they both influence my actions. I want to learn how to control my thoughts, desires, and actions. After all, learning self-control is one of the main purposes of life.

But I don't have time for that now. I'll try to think of it during the day, while I'm working. Right now, work is more important.

No comments: