Saturday, July 16, 2016

Reviewing My Sacrament Lesson

It's Sunday again, which means I get another possible opportunity to give the lesson I was scheduled to give two weeks ago, and since I don't also have a talk to give this Sunday, I can really focus on the lesson that I may or may not end up giving.

Let's review the main points. The question posed by the lesson is "How can I help others have a meaningful experience with the Sacrament?" and the core of my answer will be that we can't make the Sacrament more meaningful for other people until it means something to us. So then, the question becomes "How can I make the Sacrament more meaningful to me?" and the answer is simply by remembering what the Sacrament and its symbols mean.

The bread and water represent the body and blood of Jesus Christ. They represent the sacrifice He made for us, which reflects the great love He has for us and which highlights the importance of repentance.

Taking the Sacrament indicates that we are renewing our baptismal and temple covenants. It reinforces the strength of our sacred commitments. No one who has been baptised should take the Sacrament lightly, and no Priesthood holder should pass the Sacrament lightly, either.

One reason we should treat the Sacrament seriously is because it's a sacred ordinance first performed by Jesus Christ Himself. He administered the Sacrament first to His original disciples, and did so again at least twice among the Nephites after His resurrection. In fact, I think that every time the Sacrament was passed in Jesus' presence, It was Jesus who administered it. When the young men pass the sacrament, they are literally filling the role that Jesus Christ would fill if He attended one of our Sacrament Meetings.

Hopefully, that'll be enough to help my class treat the Sacrament with such respect that others will begin to give the Sacrament more respect as well, which will help them to have a more meaningful experience with the Sacrament  just as we young men start to do the same. The young men may not get many opportunities to talk about the Sacrament in Sacrament Meeting, but if they make a point of handling the Sacrament reverently, that should help others understand that the Sacrament is sacred, which will probably help them have a more meaningful experience with it.

No comments: