Saturday, July 2, 2016

Six Sacramental Questions

The lesson guideline for the lesson I'm going to give tomorrow suggests that the instructor ask the class to consider the following questions. I'd like us all to consider them now.

What is the purpose of the sacrament?

As I understand it, the primary purposes of the Sacrament are to remind us of Jesus Christ, His sufferings for us, and the covenants we've made with Him, and to recommit us to keep those covenants. There may be other purposes, but I think those are the main ones.

What does it symbolize?

The bread and water represent the body and blood of Christ, respectively. It's a pretty simple question to answer, but it's worth bearing in mind, especially when we internalize those emblems and figuratively let Christ into our lives.

How can we always remember the Savior?







This is the first of two questions that might get me into trouble if I get too technical with the answer. The thing is, I don't think we can "always remember the Savior." Perhaps I take absolutes too literally, but I think there are always going to be times when we forget that we represent Christ or that we've made sacred covenants with Him. I'm not sure it's possible to remember Jesus 100% of the time. That's why, in order to keep our promise to "always remember Him," we need frequent reminders, like the Sacrament, to keep thoughts of our Savior fresh in our minds.

Why do you think it is important to partake of the sacrament weekly?


This is the other question that could get me in trouble. The answer I should and will probably give is that it's important to take the Sacrament weekly because it reminds us of Christ and renews our covenants, but if we're being technical and I'm being honest, my answer is that it's not. It's not important to partake of the Sacrament weekly. It's important to take the Sacrament frequently, which is why we attend Sacrament meetings weekly, but we can't attend a Sacrament meeting every week. Every so often, we have Stake Conferences or General Conferences, and the Sacrament is not passed in those meetings. Since it's clearly not an issue that we don't get an opportunity to partake of the Sacrament on those weeks, it can't be too importnat that we make sure we take the Sacrament weekly. We should certainly partake of the Sacrament frequently, and I might even say that we should partake of the Sacrament as often as we can, but, strictly speaking, it's probably not critical that we actually partake of the Sacrament each and every week.

How can we better prepare ourselves to partake of the sacrament?


In addition to the Sunday School answers, I would say that we could prepare ourselves for the Sacrament by pondering the words of the Sacramental hymn that gets played and sung before the Sacrament is blessed and passed. Another way to prepare to partake of the Sacrament is to focus on the emblems and symbols and what they all mean. We should also recommit ourselves to keep our Baptismal and Temple covenants before we renew them.

How can Aaronic Priesthood holders represent the Savior in administering the sacrament?


I'm sure I touched on this yesterday, but the Aaronic Priesthood holders represent the Savior when administering the Sacrament because they are literally doing what He would do if He were here. In this sense, they are filling His role and representing Him to all of us, and it's only by His priesthood authority that they are able to do this.

 I probably shouldn't raise all those questions in precisely that order, but I should be able to use those questions to foster in interesting and doctrinally informative discussion about the Sacrament. And hopefully, through it all, I'll be able to help the Sacrament take on a new and deeper meaning to the Young Men, who, through their example, may be able to help the members of the congregation have a more meaningful experience with the Sacrament as well. While I'm not quite as organised as I typically like to be when giving lessons, I think I've done all the prep work I need to do to lead a good discussion, so I feel like the lesson should go fairly smoothly. Hopefully, the young men will gain something from it.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

D&C 59:
9 And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;
10 For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High.

This sounds like a commandment to partake of the Sacrament on the Sabbath. Although it is true we do not partake of the Sacramento when we have conference, I think it implies we should not skip other Sundays if possible.

Is there symbolism in the bread being broken, not cut? I have the impression that there is, but I don't think I have read anything about it. Somehow breaking it seems more personal, but that's just my thought

Andrew Robarts said...

Huh. I forgot about that scripture. Still, if this is a commandment, then that means that the entire church breaks this commandment on a semi-annual basis, and is encouraged to do so by the leaders of the church. Ergo, I don't think it's a commandment, per se, though I still think it's important to take the Sacrament frequently. I may even say "as frequently as you can."