Friday, May 29, 2009

Dear Home 5/8-5/20/2009 - snail mail

Dear Home,

5/8 9:50 pm
Oooh! A birthday present! ^^ Thanks, Sariah! I wonder what it is. I'm probably going to open it a week or two early. The rest of my district is almost as curious as I am. And removing all that packaging might make it easier to put into suitcase....We'll see, but no matter what, I'm glad you sent it. Thanks for thinking about me. = ) You, too, Mom.^^ And Ben, and Kelsey, and everyone else who has written to me so far. I really appreciate your love and support. = )

5/9 10:16 pm
Long day. Really tired. Please forgive me. Good night.
P.S. I haven't opened it. Yet.

5/10 10:02 pm
Happy Mother's Day! = )
I'm sorry I wasn't able to call you, Mom. God's timing cheated us out of one of our four phone calls. But I still thought about you. I love you and miss you, Mom. Of course, I love being a missionary and I'm nowhere near being ready to go home, but I miss being able to hug and talk to you and the rest of our family. It's been a pretty good sacrifice, and I know it's been hard on you, too. But I know that God knows our needs and He will bless all of us for our submitting to His will. Elder Kelly is serving so his family will be blessed. They will be. And you will be, too.

5/13 7:00 am
I am on the airplane. I will be flying to Minneapolis. The I'll transfer for a plane for Winnipeg. The phone call just a minute ago was awesome. I loved hearing Mom's, Joe's, and Ben's voices. Mom and I were crying at the end, she's so proud of me. ^^ I sang "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" afterwards to 1) stop myself from crying, and 2) get myself in the mood for missionary work. It worked. ^^

7:26 am
We have liftoff! I'll write more when the plane levels out.

8:17 am
The plane has leveled off and I have had a little snack. I'm thinking about taking a nap up here. We only got 4 hours of sleep last night.

11:13 am
Off of one aircraft and onto another. Didn't get any sleep on the last airplane, but I might get some on this one. The seat next to me is empty, so I'll be able to stretch out a little. But before I nod off, I just want to express how thrilled I am that my best friend in the world is investigating the church. I'm so proud of her. ^^

5/14
I've been in Winnipeg one day, and now I'm leaving it. My new companion, Elder Kirkland of Yuma, Arizona, and I are headed for Saskatoon Saskatchewan.

5/20
(New Pen) It has been a LONG week. Now P-day is almost over, and I need to finish this letter and get it in the mail.

It turns out that we get an hour for Email each P-day. Still, I took up all the time I was given. The notes I had taken during the week were very useful. I'm sure I would've forgotten something without them. I had to leave a few things out though, for time. For example, in Saskatchewan, most people say "Hey" instead of "eh". Strange, eh? also, I have $2.00 in quarters that I didn't get to spend at the airport. What should I do with them?

After Emailing our families, Elder Kirkland and I and another companionship went to Fuddrucker's. It's a different kind of burger place. You buy a plain burger, 1/3 lb, 1/2 lb, 2/3 lb, or 1 lb of meat, and then put the toppings on yourself. I got a bacon and cheese burger, some root beer, and poutines. For you non-Canadians, poutines (poo-teens) are french fries with cheese and gravy. It was HUGE! Much bigger than I expected. I cold only finish half of it. But it was really good, though. Now that I'm not stuffed full anymore, I could go for another one!

Well, I'm out of room again, and I don't have time to fill another page, so I'll end it here. I love and miss all of you! - Hugs everyone - - Hugs Mom and Kelsey again - - Hugs Ben again - Take care. = )

Your Happy Missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

PS - The return address is my current address.
103-2224 B
St Charles Ave
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
S7M 5A7
I didn't know it when I sent my email. Nor did I know that mail sent to my mission address would get lumped together and only delivered every 6 weeks. By the time this letter gets to you, 2 weeks from now, you'll have only 1 week to write and send a reply, to make sure it gets here before transfer day 5 weeks from now. Or you could email me, and I'll get it the Wednesday after you send it.

*** note from Mom - Remember what he wrote about snail mail and email on the 27th.
Also, this letter arrived 5/29.

No comments: