Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So much to say, so little time! D=

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Robarts ElderRobarts@myldsmail.net
Date: Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I don't know exactly how much time I have, but it can't be much. I'm
in my first area right now, St. Charles, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and
I love it! Unfortunately, I don't know my actual address off the top
of my head, and it'd probably be better to send the letters to the
mission home anyway, so nothing gets lost. Email will probably turn
out to be a better form of communication than snail mail after all.

President Morgan is a great man! He and his wife gave us a warm
welcome when we arrived at the airport, and he made sure we were very
well-fed (appearantly he has a reputation of forcing too much food
into his new missionaries. Once you finish eating, he puts more food
on your plate anyway. XD).

The other missionaries were pretty casual around President and Sister
Morgan. I've been told that they're occassionaly hilarious.
Unfortunately, I won't know them long enough to find out. They'll be
released in about four weeks. =(

By the way, there's a rule here that I didn't expect and really wasn't
ready for: no euphemisms. We don't say 'dang' or 'crud' anymore, and
that hasn't been easy for me to master. We also don't use 'cool',
'sweet', or 'awesome' as much. Basically, we have to say what we
really mean, using proper adjectives, but I'll master that soon
enough. ^^

Another thing I'll soon learn is how to talk to people without being
nervous at all. On my first night of tracking, I could hardly get my
name out. But my trainer Elder Kirkland, is helping me break out of
that shell.

Elder Kirkland is the best! He's so smart and inspiring. He taught me
to 'expect miracles'. I can't tell you how many times he said 'let's
tract this street', and we find a new investigator there. He's so good
at following the spirit. I hope I can learn that.

He's teaching me other skills, too, like how to cook, how to keep my
tie against my chest despite the wind, and how to make a good rubber
band ball. He's amazing.

In other news, The food is good. My bed is good. The weather has been terrific! I'm writing a journal again, so I won't be writing so many
letters. Sorry. =( I lost my toothbrush on the roadtrip to Saskatoon
and had to buy a new one. And Elder Kirkland said my knock is sounding
more confident. Go figure.

Well, it's about time to wrap this up. I've been on for almost an
hour! =O -hugs everyone, then hugs Mom again- I'm so glad I'm out here
doing the Lord's work. It's a little tough sometimes, but It's
definitely worth it. ^^ I love you. =) Thanks for supporting me. =)
And thanks to everyone for letting me leave you for two years. This is
the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Got to go! I love you all! Your enthusiastic missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts.

P.S. The birthday presents will wait another two days and I'm
rationing my letters, like you said. It's nice to know I have mail
from you that I can read whenever I need it. ^^

2 comments:

Spencer and Jessica said...

That is excellent! My first area was in Saskatoon as well. I served in the southeast part of the city. I'm sure he will love it there.

Sariah said...

Happy Birthday to Elder Robarts! :)