Monday, September 14, 2009

Dear Home - September 14, 2008

Questions from home:
Questions:

How did apartment inspection go? : )

Did you or Elder George get transferred?

When is next transfer?

If one of you got transferred, who is your new companion and what is
your new address?

You didn't tell us what surprises or impresses you most about Canada.

What do you like best about Canada so far?

What do you like best about being a missionary?

~~~~~~~~~ letter from Elder Robarts:

Dear Home,

(( Note to Mom: The mystery animals arrived already? That means it took less than a week! So much for the rumors that Canadian mail is slow! =P

As for the winter gear, the weather has been really good lately (except for the out-of-the-blue cloudburst this morning @_@ ). I haven't even had to use my Mr Mac jacket yet (apart from the raincoat shell). I'll probably get my winter gear sometime next transfer, but I'm confident that I won't need it for at least the next few weeks. I'll let you know before I buy anything warm, so until then, there's no reason to worry about me being cold. I'm not. ^^ ))

I gather that you all already have the mystery animal answers, so that takes care of our poll portion. The next question is something that I've been saving since my first transfer. Elder Orton, an active individual that's very fun to go on exchanges with, once showed me his drivers license, in which I saw something that I counted as an astonishing coincidence: His first and middle names. See, both his first and his middle names were also the first names of two people that I know and love. I met those two people at about the same age and for the exact same reason. Can you guess who those two people are?

Now I get to answer /your/ questions! ^^

First, the inspection went really well. The Eastmans were quite pleased. There were a few things that they noticed (and I'm surprised that I didn't) like a hole in the wall of the bathroom and a bunch of thumbtacks all over the wall in the living room, but neither of those were our fault, so there are no complaints. ^^

Neither Elder George or I got transferred.... yet. We won't get the call until tomorrow night, so any questions you have about transfers will have to be answered next week. =/

What impresses me most about Canada is how similar our money systems are to each other. They're got nickels, pennies, dimes and quarters just like we do, and they're all about the same size as our coins. The main differences come when you get into pieces of currency worth a dollar or more.

And I just realized that I only have 5 minutes left. =( Where did the time go??

Being a missionary is great! I miss my family, but I think I could get used to living on my own. Of course, I'll never live this far away from home again, and I certainly won't make any definite plans until I figure out how the rest of my life is going to work. There are a lot of things to consider when one attempts to live on this earth.

But those problems will be taken care of in due time. For now, my major concern is doing the Lord's work to the best of my ability, and I'm happy with what Elder George and I have been able to accomplish so far. ^^

Love, your left-handed missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts.
(( That's the best I could think of at the moment. I know I'll have a better self-description as soon as I send this. ))

4 comments:

motherof8 said...

I am going to guess your two older brothers, David and Joseph. I am trying to decide whether I like the sound of David Joseph or Joseph David better.

Miriam said...

I was thinking of the same thing as mom, so my other guess is other Elders you met on your mission?

Miriam said...

Thanks for sending the pictures!

We will have to send you some pictures we took this weekend when Mom, Ben, & I went camping in Fort Bragg.

I think Mom said she was having trouble moving picts. from her camera to the computer though, so we'll have to figure out how to get them to you.

Swenson Family said...

Andrew, Your mom sends us the updates through the blog too. I spent some time tonight reading your entries and it sure brought back a lot of wonderful memories of the life of a missionary. Thanks for sharing- Erica Swenson