Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Practical Use of Talents

One thing I love about studying the life of Jesus Christ is that not only did He teach us the way of a disciple by what He said, He also showed us the way by how He lived. He was always kind and thoughtful. He did as much good as He could do each day, and He taught us to do as He did. Then again, there are many things that He did that we can't do, but even in that, I think He taught us an important principle that we can apply to our own lives. Jesus Christ used His talents to do good.

One thing the Christ did frequently that most people don't normally do (besides teaching the gospel) was healing. In my opinion, Jesus seemed to have something of a 'knack' for healing, even a 'talent' for healing, one might say. And He used that talent to bless the lives of those that were suffering. Now, we don't all have a talent for healing. In fact, very few of us do, but we each have our own talents, whatever they may be, and God expects each of us to make good use of them.

That's most of the reason that I restarted my blog recently. I enjoy writing things, and some people say that I have a talent for it. I also like talking about spiritual things. I feel that it invites the spirit of God to touch my heart and help me to deeply understand and believe in the things that I learn and share. Thus, with some encouragement from the person who loves my most, I've decided to write about spiritual things and share them on my blog, hoping that whoever reads this will have something in what I say touch their hearts and bless their lives. It may not be as dramatic as Jesus' miracles, but I feel like I can still do some good.

Some people have a talent for music. They can write and/or perform inspiring, uplifting music which will bless people's lives immensely. Others have talents for communicating and listening, which can help to soften hearts, ease burdens, comfort and gladden others, and guide people along the path of righteousness. Good listeners and be great blessings to those who need someone to talk to.

We all have, or can develop, talents. I encourage you to find yours and learn how you can apply it to bless the lives of others. That way, you can follow the Savior's example and receive His blessings to uphold you during your times of trouble. That's what I believe. I testify of Jesus Christ as the Great Healer and the Great Teacher, as well as the Son of God, who marked the path that leads to Him. I pray that we may all follow that path, and find joy in the service of others along the way.

No comments: