Sunday, February 2, 2014

Tables, Chairs, and the Whole Idea of Mormonism

Last night, we had a Perkin's Ward Dance and Game Night activity, of which my mom was in charge. As is usual for activities we host (or attend), when the part was over, the Robarts went to work, clearing tables, folding chairs, washing dishes, etcetera. Working alongside us was a recent convert to the church who had actually just been baptized that afternoon (Mom and I took a break from setting up the event to attend the baptism). As we were putting chairs on the rack and rolling tables into the closet, I was tempted to tell the new member that this was what Mormonism was all about - setting up and taking down dozens of tables and chairs.

The funny part is that it both is and isn't what Mormonism is all about. On the one hand, cleaning up after an event is a form of service, and doing service is one way to follow the example of Jesus Christ. I'm sure that new member felt the spirit as she helped clear away plates and tablecloths. There was a sense of community there that evening, and I'm sure that she really felt like part of the ward. I'm glad she was there, not just because she was a big help, but also because helping us helped her in the same way that doing service can help us all.

On the other hand, I can't say that setting up and cleaning up after ward activities is the whole point of Mormonism because I already know what is. President Lorenzo Snow, the fifth President of the Church, once said, "The whole idea of Mormonism is improvement—mentally, physically, morally and spiritually." In fact, I'd almost go so far to say that that's the whole point, not just of Mormonism, but of life. We are meant to find true happiness by becoming more like our Heavenly Father, which means lots and lots of improvement. Perhaps cleaning up after activities plays a small role in that. That new member performed an act of selfless service, which helped make her a better person spiritually and/or morally. And for me, I had an obligation to help, so it wasn't really service, but it was good exercise, which in some small way made me a better person physically. And my Mom is a better person mentally and spiritually for bringing the ward together and organizing the event.

So, no, putting up and taking down countless tables and chairs isn't the whole point of Mormonism, despite how often we do it, but it certainly helps.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

You definitely gave valuable service. You felt an obligation because of your own goodness and willingness. Certainly I wanted and hoped for your help but you could have said no. (Maybe I shouldn't tell you that? Not so, I have seen you step in and render service many times when you had not been asked and when you had little or no connection to the activity) One of your strong qualities is your cheerful willingness to serve.