Saturday, March 15, 2014

Inspiration

There are, as far as I know, two main definitions of Inspiration. The first comes to mind very readily, especially on a blog that usually focuses on spiritual matters. Acording to the Miriam-Webster online dictionary, this kind of inspiration is described as "a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation."

The other definition seems to be merely an attachment of the word In to the word Respiration. Miriam-Webster describes this as "the act of drawing in; specifically : the drawing of air into the lungs." Looking at these two definitions side-by-side can help us understand the first definition of Inspiration much better than we did before.

My first thought in linking the two definitions of inspiration gives us a method of recognizing the first kind of inspiration. Actually, it was Alma who gave us that method first.

Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.
Alma 32: 28

I know that the presence of the Spirit feels different for different people, but with me, and perhaps with others, the experience of feeling the Spirit usually comes with the impulse to breathe in deeply, causing me to feel a literal "swell within [my] breast" that "beginneth to enlarge my soul."

Now, I understand that that could be some kind of psychological or subconscious response to some other stimulus besides the presence of an invisible spirit, especially since the act of breathing in deeply can be done manually even without the presence of the Spirit. I could just be fooling myself. But I feel like whenever I feel the Spirit, I feel like breathing in, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Another insight we can draw from the relationship between the two definition revolves around how essential it is to repeatedly breathe in. If a person stopped breathing in, they would be physically dead within minutes. Could that say anything about how vital it is to our spirits to constantly be in the presence of the Holy Spirit? Physical death is a separation of one's body from their spirit. Spiritual death is sometimes described as a separation of a person's spirit from God's. If that's an accurate description, then a loss of the Spirit would result instantly in a form of spiritual death. If that's true, then with either definition, a cessation of inspiration is followed quickly by death. What a frightening thought!

Both air and the Spirit are invisible, and taking them into our lungs or heart nearly constantly is essential. I have one last connection to make before wrapping up this blog post. In some places, the air is better than others. Fresh air is better for us than air filled with smoke. In fact, breathing air that's too smokey can kill you about as quickly as not breathing at all. The Holy Spirit isn't the only spirit out there, and breathing in the wrong spirit can kill your spirit as quickly shutting out other spirits altogether - maybe even faster.

But I want to end this blog post on a positive note, so I'll close by pointing out that where the air is best, the Holy Spirit tends to be strongest. I'm referring mostly to the outdoors, where the presence of trees, flowers, grass, and other plants freshens up the air considerably and can help us to feel the Spirit. Our Heavenly Father created all of nature and all the beauty that's in it, and I think that a person can get closer to God by enjoying nature whenever they have the chance. If you get the chance sometime this weekend, I'd encourage you to find a place with trees and grass and breathe in deeply. You may find that more will have entered your heart and lungs that just a breath of fresh air.

No comments: