Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Eternal Treasures

Jesus said
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Matthew 6:19-21
All this time, I thought He was talking about material treasures, and that made sense. This Earth won't last long. Worldly goods don't stick around forever. Materialism isn't a good long-term investment.

But the more I thought about it, the more "investments" I thought of that are also not good long-term investments. For instance, I don't know if we'll have writing or story-telling in heaven. We certainly won't have Magic cards or D&D. We may not even have pianos in heaven, though I'm pretty sure we'll still have music of some kind. I feel certain that we'll have some good, wholesome things, like forests and flower gardens, but I'm not actually sure. It may just be wishful thinking.

However, I know of at least one thing that is guaranteed to exist in heaven: Family. Family is one of the few things we can gain in this life and keep in the next. Our family relationships are among the few treasures that it's actually wise to cultivate. Almost everything else will eventually fade out of existence. But families can be eternal, and when they are, they become among the most valuable and enduring treasures of all.

No comments: