Friday, February 1, 2019

Transcribing a Talk with God

Today, I had an experience that I've only had a few other times in my life, but that I definitely ought to have more often. I transcribed a conversation with God.

The methodology is simple. I went somewhere private where I could connect with God (the outdoors works great for me, when the weather's nice enough), I sat down, and I started writing. I jotted down a few sentences, and then, when a little voice in my head asked me a prompting question, I wrote the question down and then wrote down my answer to it. This process continued for about half an hour until I had filled an entire page (the length of your conversations may vary, both in time and in paper, so make sure you have plenty of both). The result was that I got to have a deep conversation with God, received some inspiration, and set some goals, all of which would have been forgotten by next week had I not written them down.

Transcribing conversations with God doesn't always work this well. The standard rules for receiving inspiration apply, so you may go on for a while just writing down your own thoughts for quite a while before receiving an impression that's tangible enough to record, but even if all you get is a feeling, write about the feeling; it'll help you retain what spiritual impressions you have and it'll show God that you're open to receive (and then record and act on) more.

In addition to the extra time cost and difficulty of writing prayers and impressions over just praying and listening, there is also an extra obligation to act on the inspiration you get, since the inspiration has been recorded as plainly as written text, and you have a written reminder of it, making it difficult to hide behind the excuse of having forgotten.

Still, the benefits are generally worth the costs. In addition to any written obligations, you will also have a record of any inspiration, guidance, or revelation that you manage to write down, which can repeatedly inspire you whenever you reread your conversation with God.

I'm glad I wrote down that conversation with God, along with all its promises both to and from God. It's not always practical, as it takes far more time than praying normally, but when it's possible, it's usually worth it.

No comments: