Monday, September 30, 2019

Explaining General Conference

My friends and I are starting a new D&D campaign, and we're currently scheduling it for Saturday evenings, potentially starting as early as this Saturday, the first day of General Conference. This means that there's a decent chance that I'll have to explain why I won't be able to make it to D&D this Saturday, which may involve explaining what General Conference is, preferably without devaluing its importance or making it sound crazy.

The trouble is that I'm not sure where all of my fellow D&D players sit in terms of their religious beliefs. Statistically-speaking, it's probably safe to assume that at least a few of them are Catholic, practicing or not. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them were atheist or agnostic. Most of them are young enough that I wouldn't expect them to have given the matter much serious thought, which isn't to say that they're young, just young enough to not question whatever their parents taught them. And dollars to doughnuts says that none of them are Mormons members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I suppose I can safely assume that most of them are at least somewhat familiar with the classic stories of The Bible. I bet they know who Noah and Moses are. From there, it's not too far a jump to say that there are still prophets today and that they share messages from God periodically.

I'll basically be sharing the cliffnotes version of the First Lesson missionaries share. I can skip over the first part, God is Our Loving Heavenly Father, because I'm sure they knew who He is and I don't need to try and convince them that He actually exists, and I can skip over the parts about The Apostasy and the Restoration because I don't want to ruffle any feathers, and, again, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, but if I can stick to the part where God Speaks Through Prophets, that may be all I need.

Hopefully, my friends won't think it's crazy that God might still speak through prophets, assuming that He ever did or that He even exists. I don't want my friends to think I'm crazy for believing in such things, and I certainly don't want to make our beliefs seem any more strange than they already do. Still, I should probably make some effort to explain it and give my friends a chance to become interested in learning more. This morning, a classmate asked me what I did this weekend, and my explanation didn't involve any mention of a picnic on Temple Hill, and I'm kind of kicking myself about that. I shouldn't hide my religion from others. I should take opportunities to share my beliefs and customs when those subjects come up. I just hope I can manage to share a bit about my beliefs without making them sound strange.

No comments: