Monday, September 23, 2019

How to Get Blessings

This afternoon, while I was studying Galatians at the Institute, I had a thought that answered a question I had had.

Previously, I was pondering the concept of promised blessings, and I wondered if it would be possible to make some sort of catalog of blessings and the commandments upon which those blessings are predicated. With such a catalog, one could look up whatever blessings they want, find out which commandments those blessings are predicated upon, and keep those commandments to earn those blessings.

Of course, it seemed ludicrous to think that God might have made such an easily-exploited system. Still, I would like certain blessings, and I wouldn't mind finding a way to guarantee that I'll get them.

But this afternoon, as I read what Paul wrote to the Galatians about works and faith, I realized that blessings don't come through strict, impersonal adherence to certain spiritual laws. Instead, blessings come as a result of being the kind of people we become when we faithfully keep the commandments.

I don't think God cares what we do as much as He cares who we are and who we are becoming. Naturally, our behavior is a reflection of who we are, but if there is any disconnect between where the heart is and what the hands are doing (such as when people keep commandments just for the blessings without putting their hearts into it), I'm pretty sure God goes by the heart.

We don't earn blessings through works. We are given blessings as we become saints through practicing our faith. So, if we want any particular blessings, we shouldn't look for a checklist of tasks to complete to earn them. Instead, we should pray for them and then try to be good enough people that God will be able to justify blessing us with them.

No comments: