Monday, August 10, 2009

Ask an Elder - August 10, 2009

Questions:
1) What does "transfers are tonight" mean? Do you find out about transfers or actually move?
2) Some of us do not speak missionary. What are zone, area, district, etc.?
3) How is Elder Taylor's grandmother?
4) What do consider your best quality as a missionary?
5) What do you like best about your apartment?

Dear Home,

I'm sorry for confusing you all.The Canada Winnipeg Mission is split into 5 zones: Saskatoon, Brandon, Regina, Winnipeg West, and Winnipeg South. Some of those Zones include multiple cities. Eg. Prince Albert is in the Saskatoon Zone.

Each Zone is split into multiple Districts (I think the number of districts varies), and each District covers 2 or more Areas. There is one companionship per Area.

Last transfer (6 week period), I served in the Prince Albert Area of the Prince Albert District of the Saskatoon Zone. My first transfer, I served in the St Charles Area of the Saskatoon District of the Saskatoon Zone.

This transfer, I'm serving in the Prince Albert North area of the Prince Albert District of the Saksatoon Zone. Congrats to those who got it right, and I hope I didn't confuse you more.

This means that I'm not moving, but the Area I was serving in was split in half to become 2
areas, North and South. It's exciting to see that there are now 4 Elders in PA, but it makes things a little more difficult for my companion and I since a lot of our good investigators whom I enjoyed teaching now live outside of our area. Also, Elder Taylor moved, leaving me in Prince Albert with three missionaries that know nothing about the area. Hopefully I'll be able to share some useful information with them, but I feel like I don't know this area (especially the members!) nearly well enough. Though, God willing, this area will be served well.

Elder Taylor's grandmother has passed away. He seems to have taken the bad news well, though it may be that his true emotions were too personal to share with me. I'm sure he has prayed for peace and comfort, and I'm sure the Lord has or will answer his prayers. He's a good missionary. I know that God will bless him and his family for his service.

It feels weird to answer this question in the order it came, but I don't have time to rearange it. I feel like my best quality as a missionary is hope. Sometimes I stress out because I'm not perfect, but I know that God doesn't expect me to be perfect. He just wants me to do my best. And if I can promise that, God will be pleased with me and my service. One thing I've learned from those wiser than me: God is easy to please, but hard to satisfy. God can't be satisfied with anything less than perfection. We need to continually improve until we are completely perfect, but God is still pleased with the little things that we manage to do well. That's comforting. =)

We have a really good apartment. The best thing about it may be that it has it's own laundry machines. Now we can do laundry just about any time we want, without taking time away from the lord's work.

Almost forgot. When I said Transfers are Tonight, I meant that that was the night when we would get the call saying whether we stay or whither we go. If we go, we pack and travel the day after we get the call. Then we travel until we get there, and immediately go to work.

Times up, but I have another note or two to add. St Charles Area is un-closed and now has Sister Missionaries serving in it. The fair has moved on, having only stayed a week. The horses stayed a bit longer (I have no idea why. No Races) but now they're gone too.

I love you and I love serving the Lord. Thanks for your letters, Emails and prayers. If you've sent me a letter or package, expect a reply (eventually).

Your busy missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts. ^^

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Since you are away from your apartment most of the time, it's likely that there were races but they happened when you were out. It's too bad you weren't able to see any though.

Miriam said...

I thought I just read that you hadn't seen any, but I can't find that post now.

I wrote my comment, scrolled down, and saw that you did get to see the horse races. That's cool! Yeah, I would have guessed the pictures wouldn't come out very well, but thanks for trying!

Miriam said...

Oh, now I see where I got that--this post says "no races".