Monday, February 8, 2010

February 8, 2010 - Bus Stops

Sorry this is so late.  I was watching one email address carefully all day, but Elder Robarts wrote replying to an e-mail I sent him from my iPod Touch which apparently used my other address.  Which I failed to figure out until this evening.


Occasionally, I tell Andrew things that remind me of him.  Here are last week's and his responses:


White Sheets: I finally got some green fitted sheets last transfer, so I don't have to keep tucking in my sheets every night, and I can now wash my sheets with my socks and P-Day clothes. So that's a plus. ^^ (We had been instructed to get flat sheets)

Interesting trees: I haven't seen too many of those lately, but I love it when there's hoar frost on the treetops. It almost makes me forget that there are supposed to be leaves there.

Ramen
: I bought some Ramen a little while ago. I saw it in the store, got hungry, and saw that they're only 27 cents (Canadian) per package. I've only had them once, though. I'd have some today, but I already snacked on some leftover Chinese, and I have to save room for dinner with Sister Pulkinen. (The members in this ward take care of us so well!)

and now his letter:


Dear Home,

Don't you hate it when the clock that you're relying on is inaccurate so that you think you have time, but you don't? I /really/ hate it. And you should hate it too, because that means that this blog post is going to be very rushed. =S

I guess I have time for a quick bus-riding story (I've been collecting quite a few of those these past few months). One day, Elder Brown and I needed to get to this lady's house, but we didn't know of any buses that could get us there, so I came up with a simple plan: Hop on a bus that'll get us a little closer, then walk the rest of the way. And that's what we did. We walked up a road named Warman for about half an hour. During that time, a bus passed us. Had we been anywhere near a bus stop, we could've caught a ride and saved some time. As it was, we kept walking. When we finally got to where we were going, we saw something that I didn't want to see: A Bus Stop. And it wasn't just any bus stop. The bus that stops at that particular place also drives right in front of our apartment. Had we known that this bus went up this way, we could've gone straight from our apartment to this lady's house in very little time, but as it was, we spent the entire morning walking to the lady's house, just to find out that she wasn't home. And just to make things just a little bit worse, my nametag broke off sometime while we were walking, so if you happen to be walking up the east side of Warman road, keep your eyes open for Elder Robarts's old name tag. I would laugh very hard if you found it.

Also, waiting for a bus downtown, the bus that we wanted was so late that I had enough time to build a snowman before it came. I wish I had had my camera with me then. It was an unproductive evening, but I still had a good time. Love ya!

Your bus-riding missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

2 comments:

David said...

Mattress sizes can vary, so a fitted sheet that works well on his current bed may not work so well on his bed after transfers. I can understand the desire for colored sheets as Elders tend to already have a full load of white laundry every week.

Miriam said...

When I used to ride the bus / train to work & school, they had little cards for each bus route that mapped out the streets for that route & listed times & connecting routes. You should see if they have some type of map / schedule. If not, maybe we could print the routes you use from their website & mail it to you?

I just found online that there's a phone # that can help you plan your rides:

" Phone & Go is a trip planning service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By following the phone prompts, you can plan your transit trip right now or weeks in advance.

To quickly find the next buses servicing a stop, call Phone & Go at 975-7500 then:

•press "1" for Schedule Information,
•press "1" for Next Few Buses, then
•enter the four digit stop number printed on the bus stop sign "

re: mattress sizes - If his sheets are too loose on his next bed, he can get some of those clips with elastic bands to pull them tight under the mattress. They could also be used with flat sheets.