Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011

Dear Home,

I have five minutes. I might go overtime today.

I've been spending the past hour sending a few quick notes to assorted people, arguing with the dumb computer about whether or not I can send a few pictures to a missionary friend of mine, and making plans for what I'm going to do with my family shortly after I get home (hopefully a lot of hanging out, and maybe some eating).

It's strange to think of how little time I have left. Two months. Less than two months. Oi. =/

Oh, well. All I can do about it is try to make the time count. I'm going to try to spend every hour I can working. I want to find people to teach. I want to get a hold of people to teach. (Some people are really hard to catch at home!) I want to teach people about the Gospel, and I want to help people accept the Gospel so it can bless their lives like it has blessed mine. Sure, there are still difficulties. I still feel down sometimes. But I feel the influence of the spirit more often than I think I would if I hadn't received the gift of the Holy Ghost.

For example, just now, I was thinking 'if the Spirit gives us feelings of happiness and the gift of the Holy Ghost promises that we'll always have the Spirit with us, as long as we're worthy, how come some worthy people can still be sad sometimes? Do they not really have the Spirit with them?' But then the Spirit touched my heart, letting me know that He is there. People can experience things that make them happy, like feeling the Spirit, while also experiencing things that make them unhappy, like getting hurt. The Spirit didn't leave them, but His influence is so gentle that we can easily get distracted and forget that He's there. At that point, we might be tempted to believe that He's not there, that God, for whatever reason, turned His back on us. But that's not true. God is always there for us. I believe that if we look for His influence in our lives, we'll see it. If we feel for His peace, we'll feel it. Sometimes, all we need to do is ask God if He's still there. He'll remind us.

I leave that testimony with you (fifteen minutes overtime), wishing that I could write more (and better).

Love, your good friend, Elder Andrew Robarts

2 comments:

David said...

Thanks for the encouraging and uplifting thoughts! You do so well with the so-very-little time that you have...and that must count for something!

I'd suggest not being too hard on yourself, but why would I think that might be silly...hmmm.

Enjoy the last several weeks, Elder Robarts!

David said...

This and last comment made by Teresa...he, he...cute!