Monday, April 11, 2011

April 11, 2011


Dear Home,

My mom brought up a good point that I've been forgetting to mention. Since I'm coming home soon, I won't be in the apartment where I am for much longer, so consider this the 'Week 5 Warning'. Also, since I'll be leaving all of Canada, rather than just a part of it, it may be best to not send anything to the mission office either. If you really want to mail me something, mail it to California. Or, if you're already in Sacramento, just hold onto it and save yourself the stamp. I'll be there to get your letter in person before too long.

In the meantime, I'll still be working hard to save some souls. Unfortunately, even though I have enough motivation to keep knocking on doors, facing rejection, I don't seem to have quite enough courage to call people we've already met. That's a weakness of mine. I don't like talking on the phone. =S I'd much rather talk to people (even strangers) in person, like on their doorstep.

You know how we use different computers for Emailing every week? Someone did something to this computer so that everything on the screen looks like I've zoomed in on it, and I don't know how to zoom out. As a result, what I've written so far is taking up the entire screen.

I like playing 'Hit It'. It's a game I made up. You take a volleyball (or some other kind of ball, but volleyballs are best) and you hit it against a wall. When the ball comes back to you, you hit it again. And again. You can use any part of your body for hitting the ball. Eg. you can kick it, you can punch it, you can headbutt it (but not with a basketball). You can basically just do whatever you want except for letting the ball roll. Catch it if you have to, but whatever you do, don't let it roll. The game involves a lot of running around. Coincidentally, I think I need a shower. =P

In a recent Email my mom sent, she said that a part of me will always be partly Canadian. I think that's true. I've never said 'chesterfield', and I don't like perogies, but I'm going to be rooting for Canada at all of the Winter Olympics now. I want them to at least beat the US at Hockey every year (like they did this last time!!! =D). If anyone deserves to win at Hockey, it's them. =)

As for things other than that... I'm still American. I like stars better than maple leaves, and the colors red and white just aren't complete without a little bit of blue (which kind of makes me wonder why I'm wearing a red tie over a white shirt. o_O Aha! There's some blue on my watch! =P)

Wow, this watch has lasted me a long time. Two years of hard work and it still works like a charm. ^^ I can even take it into the shower without it getting any problems. All of the features still work, as far as I know, and besides a few places where the paint has worn off, the only thing that makes me think that the watch could be better is that the latch is very slightly bent, so I have to move the little stick-thing over every time I put my watch on, but really, how hard is that? I've already got all my fingers right there. Moving one of them over a little bit isn't that much of an inconvenience. I love my watch. ^^ Plus, I compared it to the General Conference countdown timer, and my watch is only 17 seconds off. Close enough, eh! xD

Ooh! That reminds me of something that I forgot to tell you. And talking about that reminds me of something else that I keep forgetting to tell you. =/

The first thing is 'Currant Bush'. You remember that story told in General Conference about a guy who pruned a Currant Bush and then got pruned down himself? Sister Paulson, our Mission President's wife, told all of the missionaries that story BEFORE General Conference! (And she told the story WAY more movingly. I almost cried. Just teared up. A little.) It's a good story.

The second thing is: I don't know if I told you that one of the missionaries in our MTC group is also from California. He lives in Modesto, which, I hear is about as close to Sacramento as it is to Oakland. I also heard that those are the two major cities with airports close to Modesto, so someone wanting to fly to Modesto might as well fly to either Sacramento or Oakland (how come Oakland doesn't have a Spanish name??) and drive the rest of the way from there. Guess what. That's the plan. Elder Goodrich is going to be flying to the Sacramento airport at exactly the same time I am on exactly the same plane. He'll be meeting his family there and they'll all drive to Modesto together. So, Sacramento people, keep your eyes open for the Goodrich family on April 29. ^^ And, if you see them, tell them I said 'hi'.

Time to get going. =/ Have a great week! See you soon, some of you. =)

Love, your still-a-full-time-missionary-until-I-get-released-by-a-member-of-the-Stake-Presidency ie. still-giving-the-Lord-my-all-until-then missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

PS, I wonder if it's against the rules for a full-time missionary to hug his Mom. I'll have to check the handbook...

No comments: