Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4, 2011

Dear Home,

I'm not counting down the days, yet, but it is scary how little time I have left here in Canada. =/ I'm not looking forward to the time when I stop going door to door, trying to help people. I keep thinking that there's more that I could do. I want to keep working hard. I want to do the best I can. I want to keep helping people feel the Gospel in their lives. I want to feel it more in MY life! I don't feel ready to quit.

But on a more positive note, General Conference was wonderful! All of the talks were very insightful. I don't think that there was any one talk that was aimed towards my specific needs (as there had been in Conferences past), but almost all of them shared something that applied to the question that I wanted the Lord to answer.

And many of them touched upon another question that I had: What should I do when I get home? I know that President Monson dropped a few hints, as did Elder Richard G. Scott, who spelled it out quite clearly what my highest priority should be. Am I nervous about that? Oh, yeah! Especially the part that Elder Scott said about being an exceptional person. I'm going to have to get VERY creative and use the skills that I practiced durring the Christmas Schooner to pull that one off! But it's worth a try. And I've got to make it work. It is, apparently, my highest priority.

Of course, 'highest priority' doesn't mean 'thing you do first'. On a Sunday Morning, your highest priority is to go to church, so if you have to choose between church and a baseball game, you go to church, but you don't go to church as soon as possible after you roll out of bed. That's not when church starts. The time isn't right yet. You still have time to get dressed, brush your teeth, have breakfast, and maybe even sit down with an Ensign before you have to leave for church. I'll have time.

But fulfilling my new highest priority isn't as easy as going to church. With church, all you have to do is show up at the building at the right time. With my new goal, there's a lot of preparation that needs to take place, so I plan on making a few preparations (if you know what I mean) while I'm doing other things, like getting a job/career and getting an education (hopefully).

Since there's going to be a temple in Winnipeg pretty soon, I'm half-thinking about saving up my money so I can go there when it gets dedicated, but I've never served in Winnipeg. The only people I would know there are other missionaries. I should probably save my pennies for other things, like car payments, house payments, paying off a student loan that I may have to get, and fulfilling my highest priority. THAT'S going to take some dough!

I'm worrying too much. Yeah, it's tough to be an adult. There's a lot of money management that needs to happen. I'll have to make tough investment decisions, like 'Can I afford to enroll in college right now?' 'Where will I work? What will I do?' 'What will I major in?' 'How much money can I afford to spend on Wants, and how much do I need to save up?'

Oh, yeah. I'm worrying WAY too much!

Anyway, to get back to the point, yeah, life's gonna be hard, but I can handle it. My parents did, my siblings are, and so can I. I've given God some of my time and effort- I've offered Him the crumb of what I managed to accomplish- Now I have to trust Him, seek His direction, work as hard as I can, and look for the loaf.

Speaking of looking for food, I just realized this morning that I'm coming home a few days after Easter. If I had my brother hide some eggs for me, I'd be almost guaranteed to be the last one to find all of mine. xD

Coming home is going to be interesting. I have SO much junk! It's amazing how many knick knacks you can build up over the course of two years. And I hope to fit all of this into two 50 pound suitcases and a carrying bag? Not likely! I threw a lot of stuff away. You know those little yellow capsules you get inside of Kinder Surprise eggs? I had DOZENS of them! Threw them all away. I have lots of golf balls, too. Those will probably get tossed. For Christmas, some members gave all of the missionaries in Regina a pair of pajamas. I don't fit mine. Do you think they'd be offended if I gave the PJs to Salvation Army? I hope not, because I don't know what else I could do with them.

I have a plan, though. After separating everything that I would like to keep, if any of it doesn't fit within the 50-pound limit, I'll put them in boxes and mail them to myself. Postage will be cheaper than overweight bag fees. Then again, I just realized something.... Don't we still have some boxes in the house from the time my oldest brother did that? And that was how many years ago?!?? Oi. =/ What am I going to do with all this STUFF?

I have something that I could give to someone. I would've had to ship it anyway, so I may as well ship it now. I don't know whether it'll be cheaper now or later. Worth the risk? -shrugs- I stink at making decisions.

My companion is probably done by now. I think we've been here for about an hour. I have another Email that I need to send after this one. Actually, I'll save this as a draft and get the other Email out of the way really quick.

Done. But I'm out of time. =/

Talk to you next week!

Love, your almost literally 'trunky' missionary, Elder Andrew Robarts

No comments: