Sunday, June 9, 2013

Worship Through Music

I spent a good portion of this morning listening to hymns performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I love those hymns. They lift my heart and raise my spirits, no matter how joyful or miserable I felt when I started to listen.

In his talk, Worship Through Music, Elder Dalin H. Oaks said, "The singing of hymns is one of the best ways to put ourselves in tune with the Spirit of the Lord. ... Music is an effective way to worship our Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. We should use hymns when we need spiritual strength and inspiration."

And may I point out that we could always use more spiritual strength and inspiration.

This is going to be a short blog post because I spent so much time listening to music and I need to take a shower soon and get ready for church, but if you've checked this blog hoping to feel the spirit, I'd advise you to repeat in your mind the words and/or the music of the first hymn that comes to your mind. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you feel the spirit quickly by doing that.

No comments: