Monday, December 23, 2013

Leaving a Legacy

Yesterday, we watched a program on TV about State and National Parks. They talked about the legacy of those who fought to make Yosemite the first National Park. From there, the movement spread to the rest of the country, protecting dozens of sites, and from there (the program implied), to the rest of the world, protecting hundreds. The work those valiant men did has blessed lives all over the country, and perhaps all over the world, for many generations. Millions, perhaps billions, of lives have been blessed by what they did.

Today is Joseph Smith Jr's birthday. The work he did nearly two hundred years ago spread from New York to Utah, and even a little farther, and from our country to the rest of the world. Today, millions of people have received the blessings of the gospel, and have access to revelation through the spirit and through modern-day prophets. Temple work has been done for countless ancestors and friends who have passed on. It's no exaggeration to say that millions, perhaps billions, of lives have been blessed by what he did.

Those men left a powerful legacy. There aren't many people who have done more good for the world than they did. Their examples of hard work and dedication to a righteous cause are inspiring. I almost wish I could do something great, like they did. But, theoretically, I can.

It is rumored that someone use said "everything that can be invented has been invented," in 1899. That was over one hundred years ago, and there have been many life-altering inventions since then, including whatever you're using to read this blog. This morning, I'm tempted to say that there are no great works left, that every great thing that can be done has already been done, or is currently being done. I could become part of any of those movements, but it's too late to spearhead any. Even if I had the inspiration to choose some great task, and even if I had the diligence and will-power to actually accomplish it, I don't think I'd have enough time to really affect anyone. We're in the "last days," as I'm sure you've heard. Those who have started great works did so at least one or two hundred years ago. I don't know if the earth has one or two hundred years left.

As excuses go, however, that one is pretty pathetic. We've been in the "last days" since Joseph Smith restored the church. That was almost two hundred years ago, and I have no reason to believe that the earth won't keep spinning for at least one hundred more. And who says it takes one hundred years to do something great? I don't need to change the world in order to have a positive impact on people. This blog may have already have had a positive influence on a handful of you, and I've only been blogging for a year. If I keep this up for another decade or so, who knows how many people may be affected; how much of an impact I may have. Maybe this is my "great work." Maybe this blog is how I'll leave my mark on the world. Still, I can't shake the feeling that I should be doing something more, something greater. Maybe that's just the pride in me, wanting to do something for which I'll be remembered. Or maybe God is trying to inspire me to start the work I was created to do. I wish I knew for sure.

No comments: