Thursday, December 26, 2013

Things I Should Remember

About half a year ago, on May 17th, I said that I got to my blog each morning by making a web search for it. I still do. But now, instead of searching for "Andrew Robarts Armor of God," which gets many more results than just the place I'm trying to get to, I now search for the words "Madman," "Blogspot," and "Armor," in any order, and my blog is the top hit every time. There are usually two particular blog posts that come up when I do those web searches: Helmet of Salvation (May 17th), and Sword of the Spirit (May 23rd). I usually click on the Helmet of Salvation, but it really doesn't matter because I get to my blog either way.

Occasionally, I do more than just pass through those posts to get to my blog. Sometimes I read them on my way. Sword of the Spirit isn't much worth re-reading frequently, but the other blog post is something I should re-read regularly. "Keep the goal of salvation on your mind [and] remember that serving God faithfully is your goal." I sometimes find it hard to keep the goal of salvation on my mind, just as many people struggle to always remember Christ. That's why we need frequent reminders, like the Sacrament and Christmas.

Focusing on the Lord and everlasting life can help us not only at Christmas, but through all the challenges of mortality.
- Russell M. Nelson, "Jesus the Christ--Our Prince of Peace"

We all face many challenges in mortality. When we do, it's good to remember why those challenges are there and who we can turn to to help us get through them. One of my challenges is with my feelings of self-worth. I often have a hard time seeing myself as a child of God, with a spark of divinity inside me. It's hard to imagine me, as I am, ever having the potential to grow to become like Him. That would take an AWFUL LOT of growing, and sometimes progress seems very slow, or non-existent. In those times, I need to remember that I am a child of God, but that I am much, much younger than He is. The strength of an acorn, whose existence consists of only a few weeks, pales in comparison with that of an oak that has stood and grown for centuries. I have many centuries of growth and experience ahead of me before I could even dream that the goal to become like my Heavenly Father might be realistic, but even now, the potential is there. And I need to remember that.

No comments: