Saturday, January 11, 2014

Connecting With God: Technology VS Nature

I found this on Facebook:


I sometimes wonder if technology brings me closer to God, or farther away from Him. I'd say it does a little bit of both. It helps in that I find inspiring things like this on Facebook, and LDS.org helps me study the gospel, but it also hinders me in that I tend to spend too much time on Facebook and Youtube, when the truth is that we don't really need technology at all.

We can connect to God without a modem, browser, or cell phone. We can develop a relationship with Him without any form of social media. And we can follow Him without a Twitter account or a GPS. God's love and guidance are always available to us, even (or perhaps especially) when we don't have access to modern technology.

The other day, I followed my own advice and biked out to the American River Parkway to find a quiet, natural spot to be alone with God. It worked. I felt the spirit there, and got some much-needed guidance (which I now need to will myself to follow). When Joseph Smith had an important question to ask God, he went into a grove of trees. And in the Book of Mormon, prophets and other spiritual people frequently go into the wilderness or into a mountain to pray. I think that we can connect to God far more easily through nature than through the internet. Perhaps, for that reason, I should continue to follow the advice of seeking more quality time outside than online.

No comments: